1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Averaging measurement with stat +sys errors

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You make a measurement of two variables with 100% correlated systematic uncertainty:
    [itex] x_1 \pm \Delta x_1^{stat} \pm \Delta x_1^{sys} = 1.0 \pm 0.1 \pm 0.1 [/itex]
    [itex]x_2 \pm \Delta x_2^{stat} \pm \Delta x_2^{sys} = 1.2 \pm 0.1 \pm 0.2 [/itex]

The average is taken by:

[itex] \bar{x} = \sum_{i=1}^2 w_i x_i[/itex]

where [itex]w_i = \frac{\sum_j (C^{-1})_{ij}}{ \sum_{kj} (C^{-1})_{kj}}[/itex] and [itex]C=C^{stat}+ C^{sys}[/itex] the covariance matrix of the measurement.

2. Relevant equations

All given above

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculate [itex]C[/itex] to get its inverse and find the weights.
    For that I deduced that:
    [itex]C^{stat} = \begin{pmatrix} (\sigma^{stat}_1)^2 & 0 \\ 0 & (\sigma_2^{stat})^2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    and
    [itex]C^{sys} =\begin{pmatrix} (\sigma^{sys}_1)^2 & \sigma^{sys}_1 \sigma^{sys}_2 \\ \sigma^{sys}_1 \sigma^{sys}_2 & (\sigma_2^{sys})^2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    due to the 100% correlated systematic uncertainties [itex]\sigma_{12}^{sys} = \rho \sigma_1^{sys} \sigma_2^{sys}= \sigma_1^{sys} \sigma_2^{sys}[/itex].

When I go to get [itex]C[/itex] then:

[itex]C=C^{stat} +C^{sys}= \begin{pmatrix} 0.01 & 0 \\ 0 & 0.01 \end{pmatrix} +\begin{pmatrix} 0.01 & 0.02 \\ 0.02 & 0.04 \end{pmatrix} =\frac{1}{100} \begin{pmatrix}2 & 2 \\ 2 & 5 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

The inverse of this matrix is [itex]C^{-1} = \frac{50}{3} \begin{pmatrix} 5 & -2 \\ -2 & 2 \end{pmatrix} [/itex].

My problem is that with such a matrix I am getting for the weights:
    [itex]w_1 =\frac{\sum_j (C^{-1})_{1j}}{ \sum_{kj} (C^{-1})_{kj}}= \dfrac{\frac{50}{3} (5-2)}{ \frac{50}{3}(5+2-2-2)}= 1[/itex]

And
    [itex] w_2 = 0[/itex] (since [itex]C_{21}^{-1}= - C_{22}^{-1}[/itex]).

I don't know why this is happening... Any idea?
    Obviously this doesn't seem to make sense because in the averaging I won't get any contribution from [itex]x_2[/itex]...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Including the second measurement blows up the systematic error without reducing the statistical error much. To check this, you can give the second measurement the weight ##w_2 = \epsilon \ll 1## and see what the combined uncertainty is (compared to w2=0).
    I can imagine that not averaging at all is the best you can do in this special case where the systematics are weird (100% correlated, but much larger in the second case).

4. Jun 18, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

The thing is that this makes it a bit more strange... Because I tried before doing the same for [itex]x_1= 0.1 \pm 0.0 \pm 0.1[/itex] and [itex]x_2= 1.0 \pm 0.0 \pm 0.2[/itex] (no statistical error). The covariance matrix was:
    [itex] C= \frac{1}{100} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 2 & 4 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow C^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix} 4 & 8 \\ 8 & 16 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]
    And the weigths were found to be [itex]w_1= \frac{1}{3}[/itex] and [itex]w_2= \frac{2}{3}[/itex] which make sense...

I will try to work out with [itex]w_2= \epsilon \ll 1[/itex] then... do you think [itex]w_1 = 1 - \epsilon[/itex] as well?

5. Jun 18, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Also that's a weird inverse, since [itex][C^{-1} C ]_{11}= \frac{1}{100} (4+16) \ne 1[/itex]...

*edit and just realized that the determinant is zero and wolfram was giving me a pseudoinverse matrix*

6. Jun 18, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Ah, that could be the problem.

Without statistical errors the weights should certainly be 1 and 0, as using the value with the larger (but 100% correlated) systematics is pointless.

##1-\epsilon## for the other weight, sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted