Can we break the cycle of insomnia and regain healthy sleep patterns?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been unable to sleep for 72 hours and has tried various methods to fall asleep including cat naps and prescribed drugs. However, these methods have not been effective and the speaker is wondering if there is a better method to regain sleep. They also mention feeling drained from the drugs and question whether counting sheep or watching certain movies could help them sleep. Ultimately, the speaker expresses frustration and suggests they may just have to deal with the lack of sleep.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have been awake for 72 hours now, my brain will just not let me sleep, i really do want to be able to sleep, i have reverted to some bad habbits to
try to be un aware, but they no longer work, i do have cat naps, but even they are getting less frequent, doctors are less than helpfull prescribing drugs, that work for a while but leave one feeling drained, is there a method
to regain sleep?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what the hay, it is a useless brain any way, maybe i shoud stop
complaining and deal with it.

Does counting sheep
Help a ram sleep? :smile:

You could watch a movie called "Bowling for Columbine" or better yet "Farenheit 911". I gaurantee you that if you try to watch either of those it'll konk you right out.

I guess he's sleeping. 72 hours is very unhealthy.

FAQ: Can we break the cycle of insomnia and regain healthy sleep patterns?

1. What is the definition of insomnia?

Insomnia is a sleep disorder characterized by difficulty falling or staying asleep, resulting in inadequate sleep and feelings of tiredness and fatigue during the day.

2. How long can a person go without sleep?

The longest recorded time a person has gone without sleep is 11 days, but most people will start to experience severe physical and mental side effects after just 72 hours of being awake.

3. What are the consequences of being awake for 72 hours?

Being awake for 72 hours can lead to significant impairments in cognitive function, such as difficulty with memory, concentration, and decision making. It can also increase the risk of accidents and injuries.

4. What are some tips for managing insomnia?

Some tips for managing insomnia include maintaining a consistent sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine and electronics before bedtime, creating a comfortable sleep environment, and practicing relaxation techniques.

5. When should I seek medical help for my insomnia?

If your insomnia persists for more than a few weeks and is significantly impacting your daily life, it is recommended to seek medical help. A doctor can help identify any underlying causes and provide appropriate treatment options.