Solving AX=B with Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient Algorithm

• Thread starter callingearth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a linear algebra problem involving a sparse matrix on a GPU. The problem is to solve AX=B, where dim(A) = n*n, dim(X) = n*nrhs, and dim(B) = n*nrhs. The speaker has an implementation that solves Ax=b using a preconditioned Conjugate Gradient algorithm, and is looking for a way to map the AX=B problem to the Ax=b problem. It is suggested to write AX=B as A[x_1 x_2 ... x_{nrhs}] = [b_1 b_2 ... b_{nrhs}], which turns the matrix*matrix=matrix equation into a system of matrix*vector=vector equations. This means that to
callingearth
Hi all,
I required some help in a linear algebra problem. I've been told to build a sparse matrix solver which solves AX=B where dim(A) = n *n , dim(X) = n*nrhs and hence dim(B) = n*nrhs. This I have to implement on a GPU (I know this is offbeat but needed the math help :) I have an implementation which solved Ax=b wherein dim(A) = n*n and x is a vector i.e. dim(x) = n*1. This is solved using a preconditioned Conjugate Gradient algorithm. (If really interested could read this - http://alice.loria.fr/publications/papers/2008/CNC/Buatois_et_al_CNC.pdf ). I would like to know how I can map the AX=B problem to Ax=b problem (if possible)?

Thanks,
Vandhan Ramesh

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Vandhan,

If X = [x_1 x_2 ... x_{nrhs}] where x_i's are the columns (which are nx1 vectors), and similarly B = [b_1 b_2 ... b_{nrhs}], then we can write AX = B as A[x_1 x_2 ... x_{nrhs}] = [b_1 b_2 ... b_{nrhs}], i.e., [Ax_1 Ax_2 ... Ax_{nrhs}] = [b_1 b_2 ... b_{nrhs}]. In this way the matrix*matrix=matrix equation becomes a system of matrix*vector=vector equations.

Thanks a lot. So now if I have a data of AX=B, i.e. B's dataset of dimension N * NRHS, all I need to do is solve NRHS times Ax=b, right?

Vandhan

FAQ: Solving AX=B with Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient Algorithm

What is the Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient Algorithm?

The Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient (PCG) algorithm is a numerical method used to solve systems of linear equations of the form AX=B, where A is a symmetric positive definite matrix and X and B are vectors. It is an iterative method that finds the solution by minimizing the residual error at each step.

How does the PCG algorithm work?

The PCG algorithm uses the conjugate gradient method to iteratively find the solution to the linear system. At each step, the algorithm computes a search direction by combining the previous search direction with the gradient of the residual error. The algorithm then updates the solution in the search direction until the residual error is minimized.

What is the role of preconditioning in the PCG algorithm?

Preconditioning is a technique used to improve the convergence rate of the PCG algorithm. It involves transforming the original linear system into an equivalent one that is easier to solve. This is done by multiplying the original matrix A with a preconditioner matrix, which can be chosen based on the properties of A to improve the condition number of the resulting system.

What are the advantages of using the PCG algorithm?

The PCG algorithm is well-suited for large, sparse linear systems and is typically more efficient than direct methods such as Gaussian elimination. It also has the advantage of being able to handle indefinite and ill-conditioned matrices. Additionally, the algorithm can easily be parallelized, making it suitable for high-performance computing environments.

What are some applications of the PCG algorithm?

The PCG algorithm is widely used in scientific computing and has applications in various fields such as computational fluid dynamics, image processing, and structural analysis. It is also commonly used in machine learning and optimization problems that involve solving large systems of linear equations.