1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B-field at point P that is produced by the current in two wires

1. Mar 29, 2013 #1
    1. The figure shows an end view of two long, parallel wires perpendicular to the xy-plane, each carrying a current I=5.00A but in opposite directions. What is the magnitude and direction of the B-field at point P that is produced by the current in the two wires?

2. B=(μo/4pi) integral from +infinity to -infinity (I/r^2)(dl x r^)
    Biot-Savart Law
    B=μoI/2pi(r)

3. I am having a very hard time trying to understand this problem; but this is my attempt which is not complete.
    At first I was going to get my B total by Adding B1 + B2 getting each by using the second formula on top. This just doesnt seem right.
    Second attempt was getting B1 and B2 using the second formula. Then to get the B field I was going to do B=sqrt of B1^2 + B2^2
    but I cannot figure out how to get direction?
    Please Help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2
    Resolve the Magnetic field vectors ( along the axes) and then add them vectorially.

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not? Just pay attention to the signs.
    2nd attempt - forget it! The fields add. The system is linear!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted