1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Background for Analysis and Topology

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    Hi!

I am a self-learner. What background knowledge is necessary to learn Analysis and Topology?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Calculus, an experience with proofs and an experience with sets.

Personally, I would take analysis before you take topology. Make sure you know about metric spaces before topology (metric spaces are usually studied in analysis, but not always).

If you studied calculus from a rigorous book like Spivak, then you can take on a rigorous analysis book (like the excellent book by Aliprantis & Burkinshaw). Otherwise, the book "Understanding Analysis" by Abbott is very good.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Is it weird that my school's real analysis is a course on topology and metric space? I'm only first year but that's what my calculus teacher told me when i asked what real analysis was. He told me the course content for real analysis course at my school was metric space and topology.

I keep on hearing about "reconstruction" of the real numbers... but apparnetly that's done in abstract algebra and or set theory 3rd year course. Is this normal?

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's a bit weird. Metric spaces (and a little topology) are certainly part of real analysis, but real analysis should be much more then that. It should also deal with differentiation, integrals, series, etc. It's a bit weird if you only see topology in your real analysis course.

Reconstruction of the real numbers is very often done in real analysis, because it's important to know what the real numbers are exactly. It is extremely weird that you do this in abstract algebra, I never heard of such a thing before. It would fit in a set theory course though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook