1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Backing back on track after 16 years of mental issues

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    Hi all,
    I graduated from university with a BSc in Physics (3rd class) in 2000.

I was having some issues with depression then in my university years but I managed to graduate with a B average in my basic degree.

In 2005, I was warded in a psychiatric hospital and diagnosed with schizophrenia. I was not hearing and have never heard voices nor have I had any clear hallucinatory symptoms. Instead, I believed in conspiracies that were kind of naïve and far-fetched.

I have had a spotty employment history. I have barely worked longer than half a year in a full-time capacity in supported employment.

These 16 years because of self-stigma and the stigma of my mother, I was unable to pursue my studies. Not even independently, as my mother was afraid I would relapse if I were so much as to study physics on my own again.

16 years later, I am somewhat stable. I am acutely aware that having lost all these years, further studies is a long shot. However I am already 40 and if I don’t pursue it now, I will likely never have a chance.

What can I do now to better my chances of getting into graduate school?

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2
    Sorry. It's "Getting back on track" in the topic title. Having a dizzy spell.

4. May 16, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You need to a) smoke the GRE, and b) show that you can stay employed at one job for multiple years. (Grad school is a multiple year commitment)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted