Balance these nuclear equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of conservation laws, particularly the conservation of leptons and the potential inclusion of charge conservation. However, there is some confusion about the specific byproduct in a certain decay reaction, and it is ultimately discovered that the task was incorrect and the correct answer is beta decay of Cobalt-60. Despite this, the conversation was still informative and the participants learned more than they would have if the task had been correct.
eminem4002
Homework Statement
Balance these nuclear equations
Relevant Equations
The V's in the picture are electron neutrinos.
I was thinking that these reactions have something to do with the conservation of leptons but I am not certain.

Attachments

• Screenshot at Mar 02 11-58-41.png
    Screenshot at Mar 02 11-58-41.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 137
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello eminem, :welcome: !

eminem4002 said:
Relevant Equations:: The V's in the picture are electron neutrinos.
They are greek letters n, written ##\nu##, pronounced nee according to some (I would venture: nyou )
I was thinking that these reactions have something to do with the conservation of leptons but I am not certain.
Is there such a law ? Any other conservation laws you learned ? If so, they are the Relevant equations.

BvU said:
They are greek letters n, written ν\nu, pronounced nee according to some (I would venture: nyou )
Greeks say neetrino, you say nyoutrino, Greeks say pee, you say pie, Greeks say psee, you say sigh ##\dots## let's call the whole thing off 🇬🇷##\not \in## 🇺🇸 .

Likes BvU
Ok, so I think I figured it out... Is this correct?

Attachments

• nuclear equation task.docx
    12.7 KB · Views: 113
Check for yourself ! e.g. Al here
And google decay of 60Co to find this

Conclusion: Well done !

BvU said:
Check for yourself ! e.g. Al here
And google decay of 60Co to find this

Conclusion: Well done !
Are you sure? Because on the website it says that there's an electron antineutrino as the byproduct and not an electron neutrino as I wrote.

Good point ! Overlooked that completeley o:) ! And now I'm painted in a corner: I expect the exercise composer wants a single entry in the empty box, and I'm unable to come up with one. Other possibility: exercise composer made an error here !

(In post #2 I was fishing for 'charge conservation'. Lepton number conservation is a nice one too.)

BvU said:
Good point ! Overlooked that completeley o:) ! And now I'm painted in a corner: I expect the exercise composer wants a single entry in the empty box, and I'm unable to come up with one. Other possibility: exercise composer made an error here !

(In post #2 I was fishing for 'charge conservation'. Lepton number conservation is a nice one too.)
Great! I was thinking so too, maybe the creator of this task has written it wrong, I'll ask him and come back to this discussion later.

Likes BvU
Alright, turns out the task was indeed incorrect and the correct answer is beta decay of Cobalt-60.

Likes BvU
Bright side: this way we learned more than if it would have been correct :wink: !

Likes eminem4002
True that, thank you for the help!

1. What is the purpose of balancing nuclear equations?

The purpose of balancing nuclear equations is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element remains the same on both sides of the equation, in accordance with the law of conservation of mass. This allows for accurate predictions and calculations in nuclear reactions.

2. How do you balance a nuclear equation?

To balance a nuclear equation, you must adjust the coefficients of the reactants and products so that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This is done by using the rules of nuclear equations, such as conserving the mass and charge of the particles involved.

3. What are the key components of a balanced nuclear equation?

The key components of a balanced nuclear equation are the reactants, products, and the subatomic particles involved. The coefficients and subscripts must be adjusted to ensure that the number of atoms of each element and the total charge are balanced on both sides of the equation.

4. Why is it important to balance nuclear equations?

It is important to balance nuclear equations because it allows for accurate predictions and calculations in nuclear reactions. It also ensures that the laws of conservation of mass and charge are upheld, which is essential in understanding and studying nuclear processes.

5. Are there any exceptions to balancing nuclear equations?

Yes, there are some exceptions to balancing nuclear equations, such as in the case of nuclear decay, where the number of particles on one side of the equation may differ from the other side. However, the total mass and charge must still be balanced in these cases.