Balanced length of a potentiometer wire

In summary, a battery with emf E0=12V is connected to a 4m long uniform wire with resistance 4Ω. Two cells with emf E1=2V and E2=4V, and internal resistances 2Ω and 6Ω respectively, are connected to create a balanced potentiometer. Kirchoff's laws are applied to determine the potential of the circuit, but there is uncertainty due to a possible mistake in the diagram. If the middle wire in the diagram is not present, the potential at point N is 2.5V and the distance of N from point A is 2.5m. If the middle wire is present, there is a short circuit
kalupahana

Homework Statement

A battery if emf E0=12v connected across a 4m long uniform wire having resistance 4Ω. The cells of small emf E1=2v and E2=4v having internal resistance 2Ω and 6Ω respectively, are connected as shown in figure below. If galvanometer shows no deflection at the point N, then distance of N from point A is equal to

a. 1/6 cm
b. 25 cm
c. 75cm
d. 50 cm

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchoff's laws
V=kl (v=voltage, k=voltage per unit length, l=length) => for potentiometer

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the potentiometer is in balanced condition no current passes through galvanometer.
So applying V=IR for potentiometer
12v=(8+4)I
12=12I
I=1A

BY applying V=IR to potentiometer wire
V=4I=4.1
V=4v

Potential drop per unit length
k=4v/4m K=1 vm-1

I have no idea to find potential of the points of circuit which is connected to the potentiometer. How to find that. When Kirchoff;s laws applied that potential get 0 and balanced length become 0.

Applying Kirchoff's Laws
4v=6I1
I1=2/3 A

-2v=2I2
I2=-1A

Direction of current is opposite

Now by V=IR, the potential of circuit become 0.
How to complete this.

:confused:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 3,228
Physics news on Phys.org
untitled-jpg.48094.jpg

I believe there is a mistake in the diagram. The middle wire( where i1-i2 is shown) should not be there. It connects one end of galvanometer to 12V directly. If it is there, the galvanomater will read 0 at point A.
If the middle wire is not there:
Assigning potentials to various points, let A be at 12V. So, B is at 8V and so on..
Applying KVL to the loop containing the two sources, it turns out that one end of the galvanometer(fixed end) is at 9.5V potential.
So, when the other (moving) end is also at 9.5V on the wire, galvanometer will read 0.
So, starting from point A(12V), N will be 2.5V away i.e. 2.5m away from point A (since potential gradient=1V/m).
So, the answer should be 250cm, which is none of the options.

Last edited:
I agree with CNH to some extent...it looks like a mistake in which case the voltage across the external circuit is 2.5V which equates to a section of wire 2.5m long (any section of wire 2.5m long would 'balance' 2.5V)
If the diagram is not wrong then there is a short circuit caused by that central connection and the voltage across the circuit is ZERO.
I think the 'best' answer is 1/6cm..1.3 mm...the wire is 4000mm long and 1.3mm is as close to zero as makes no difference.
If that is the answer then this is either a stupid question or a question designed to promote discussion.

1. What is the purpose of having a balanced length of a potentiometer wire?

The balanced length of a potentiometer wire ensures that the resistance values across the wire are consistent, allowing for accurate measurement and control of electrical signals.

2. How is the balanced length of a potentiometer wire determined?

The balanced length is typically determined by adjusting the position of the wiper along the length of the wire until the desired resistance value is achieved.

3. What happens if the potentiometer wire is not balanced?

If the potentiometer wire is not balanced, the resistance values across the wire will vary, leading to inaccurate measurements and potentially causing errors in the circuit.

4. Can the balanced length of a potentiometer wire change over time?

Yes, the balanced length of a potentiometer wire can change due to factors such as temperature, wear and tear, and age. Regular calibration may be necessary to maintain accuracy.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the balanced length of a potentiometer wire?

Aside from external factors like temperature and wear, the type and quality of the potentiometer wire itself can also impact the balanced length. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement equipment used can also play a role.