1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potentiometer : how that balancing point is reached?

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    When potentiometer is used to measure and compare emf of cells, how that balncing point is reached?...............
    this is the circuit diagram what i mentioned..
    p23pot1.jpg

in the description it is said that at that balancing point (current through that galvanometer shows zero), potential drop across AC is equal to E emf of the cell.

But my doubt is that " by Kirchoff's voltage rule , consider that loop A-G-C-A, potential drop across AC is equal to E with out any conditions like balanced or not. Then we have to say that each and every point is a balanced point, right?????"

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    In general, if the arrangement is not balanced, there will be a pd across the galvanometer, G. This will only be zero when the pd between A and C is equal to the emf of the cell

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    i can't understand.
    even if it is balanced, there should be a pd across the galvanometer.(kirchoff's voltage rule).
    the voltage in that closed loop should be zero...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook