Balancing a cylinder on an incline with a mag. field

In summary, the conversation discussed a scenario where a cylinder with certain dimensions and density is placed on a ramp at an angle theta with a coil of wire wrapped around it. A uniform magnetic field is present and the question is to determine the current needed for the cylinder to remain stationary on the ramp, assuming the force of static friction is strong enough. The solution involves balancing the torques exerted by the magnetic field and the force of gravity, and using the equations F = IlBsin(theta) and Torque = IlBR. The conversation ends with a request for guidance in solving the problem.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A cylinder with radius R, length l, and density ro has a 10 turn coil of wire wrapped lengthwise. The cylinder is placed on the ramp tilted at an angle theta, with edge of the coil parallel to the ramp's slope. A uniform mag. field points straight up.

For what loop current will the cylinder rest on the ramp. Assume static friction is large enough to keep the cylinder from sliding down the ramp.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, here are my thoughts. I need to find the current such that the torques exerted by the magnetic field on the wires balance the torque exerted by the force of gravity

on a slope F = mgsin(theta), = ro*pi*R^2 * l, so the force of gravity is parallel to slope of the ramp, I think.

Then for a current-carrying wire F = IlBsin(theta) Is theta = 90?

F = IlB Torque = IlBR

I'm not sure what to do at this point because I think that the forces exerted on the two wires by the magnetic field are equal and in opposite directions. I haven't done dynamics for awhile, so I could use a push in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

Please?

1. How does the magnetic field affect the stability of the cylinder on the incline?

The magnetic field can either stabilize or destabilize the cylinder on the incline. If the magnetic field is aligned with the incline, it can stabilize the cylinder by creating a force that opposes the gravitational force. However, if the magnetic field is perpendicular to the incline, it can destabilize the cylinder by creating a force that pulls the cylinder down the incline.

2. What factors determine the equilibrium point of the cylinder on the incline with a magnetic field?

The equilibrium point of the cylinder on the incline with a magnetic field is determined by the angle of the incline, the strength of the magnetic field, and the mass and shape of the cylinder. These factors interact to create a balance between the gravitational force and the magnetic force, resulting in a stable equilibrium point.

3. Can the cylinder remain in equilibrium on the incline with a changing magnetic field?

Yes, the cylinder can remain in equilibrium on the incline even with a changing magnetic field. As long as the changes in the magnetic field are gradual and do not drastically alter the equilibrium point, the cylinder will adjust to maintain its balance on the incline.

4. How does the shape of the cylinder affect its stability on the incline with a magnetic field?

The shape of the cylinder can have a significant impact on its stability on the incline with a magnetic field. A cylinder with a wider base will have a lower center of gravity, making it more stable on the incline. Additionally, a cylinder with a rounder shape will experience less resistance from the magnetic field, making it easier to balance on the incline.

5. What practical applications does this phenomenon have?

This phenomenon has many practical applications, such as in the design of magnetic levitation trains and in the development of gyroscopes for navigation systems. It can also be used in experiments to demonstrate the relationship between magnetic fields and equilibrium points, and to study the effects of different variables on this balance.