1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find i such that ##t_{net}=0## for a loop/(Cross prod. help)

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wood cylinder of mass ##m## and length ##L## with ##N## turns of wire wrapped around it longitudinally, so that the plane of the wire coil contains the long central axis of the cylinder. The cylinder is released on a plane inclined at an angle ##\theta## to the horizontal, with the plane of the coil parallel to the incline plane. If there is a vertical uniform magnetic field ##B##, what is the least current ##i## through the coil that keeps the cylinder from rolling down the plane?

woodcylinder.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    ##\vec{\tau}=\vec{\mu}\times \vec{B}##
    ##\vec{\tau}=\vec{r}\times \vec{F}##
    3. The attempt at a solution

Since the cylinder isn't rolling down the plane we have that ##\tau_{net}=0##, the torque from coil on the cylinder is ##\tau_{coil}=\vec{\mu}\times\vec{B}=NiAB\sin\theta## and the torque from the cylinder's weight is ##\tau_{w}=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}=rmg\sin\theta##, now setting these equal to each other solves the problem but I'm confused about the direction of these forces from the right hand rule/cross product. I'll draw a picture to show you: ngqdcz.png

Which makes no sense and I also can't get the torque from the cylinders weight to go in the correct direction, if someone could show/tell me what's wrong with my vector diagram that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do you think it does not make sense?
    Please show your working with regard to the torque from gravity.

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3
    I messed up the first cross product, it should be ##\vec{u}\times\vec{B}=\hat{j}##, and for torque from gravity: 2hwmnpl.png
    I will explain why this doesn't make sense to me. The question is asking what the smallest value of current is that will stop the cylinder from rolling down the plane. I just can't see how setting the net torque equal to zero in the y plane will hold the cylinder in place.

I would think that for the cylinder we would need ##F_{netx}=0## and ##F_{nety}=0## not ##\tau_{net}=0##

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There isn't a y plane, there's a y axis. If it were to roll, which axis would it rotate about?

6. Dec 10, 2015 #5
    I suppose it would roll about the y axis

7. Dec 10, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right. So if the torques about the y axis balance, it won't roll.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted