Balancing a Plank on a Cylinder: Investigating Potential Energy Gain

  • Thread starter Thread starter theloathedone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
theloathedone
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A uniform plank of thickness 2d and weight W is balanced horizontally across the top of a circular cylinder of radius r, whose axis is horizontal and perpendicular to the length of the plank. Prove that the gain of potential energy when the plank is turned without slipping through an angle theta in a vertical plane is:
[itex]W(r \sin{\theta} -(r+d)(1-\cos{\theta}))[/itex]

Homework Equations


Clearly this is a problem of gravitational potential energy, U = mgh.

The Attempt at a Solution


I drew the diagrams, which are attached.
So from diagram 2, I get
[itex]\inc U=W(\frac{r+d}{\sin{\theta}}-(r+d)-((r+d)\tan{\theta}-r\theta)\sin{\theta}))[/itex]
which is completely unlike what is to be proved.
I'm at a dead end and not sure how to proceed, thanks in advance for the help!
 
Attachments
  • Diagram 1.jpg
    Diagram 1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 649
  • Diagram 2.jpg
    Diagram 2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 709
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the length [tex]\frac{r+d}{sin\theta}[/tex] is incorrect. If you fix that, you should be able to simplify the formula considerably.

I would also suggest trying to find an easier formula by adding two lengths.
 
Hmm ok I see that it should have been [itex]\frac{r+d}{\cos{\theta}}[/itex] instead.

But I'm not sure how to find the two lengths to add to get the correct answer still.