Kleppner Classical mechanics: Question about stability (p.217)

In summary, the book says that a pendulum with a massless rigid rod is stable if it hangs downward, but unstable if it hangs upward. The book also says that the linear equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator is not stable of all small perturbations. If the amplitude of the perturbation is small, then the pendulum is stable equilibrium.
ThreeCharacteristics
I have a question understanding the reasoning in the book.

The book says in one dimension F=-dU/dr(p.185). From this, the system is stable at distance a when U'(a)=0 and U''(a)>0 where U is differentiated with respect to r.(p.217)

My question arises from the instance of a pendulum where a massless rigid rod of length l and a mass m are considered(p.217).

The book says the system is stable if the pendulum hangs downward and unstable if it hangs upward, both vertically.

I also agree the result, but I can't understand the reasoning in the book since the derivatives of potential energy in the reasoning are with respect to the angle theta, not r.

I have tried to solve it with the chain rule, indeed, we have dU/dr=dU/d(theta) × d(theta)/dr and d²U/dr²=dU²/d(theta)² × (d(theta)/dr)² + dU/d(theta)×d²(theta)/dr². But stuck due to the trouble with identifying d(theta)/dr.

To try again, at this time, I made a guess that generalises the stability of the system to higher dimension. The system is also stable at the point of minimum potential energy, by investigating small displacement along every axis. Is this OK?

Physics news on Phys.org
The math in both cases is the same. It doesn't matter whether your dynamical configuration variable is a Cartesian vector component or an angle.

The the example of the mathematical pendulum. The Lagrangian is
$$L=T-V=\frac{m}{2} R^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + m g R \cos \theta,$$
i.e. the potential is
$$V=-m g R \cos \theta.$$
The equation of motion is easily derived from the Euler-Lagrange equations,
$$p_{\theta}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}} = m R^2 \dot{\theta} \; \Rightarrow \; \dot{p}_{\theta}=mR^2 \ddot{\theta}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta}=-V'(\theta)=-mgR \sin \theta.$$
Now we can look for stationary solutions, ##\theta=\text{const}##. Obviously for such solutions you must have ##V'(\theta)=m g R \sin \theta =0##. That's fulfilled for all ##\theta=n \pi## with ##n \in \mathbb{Z}##. Of course only the two cases ##\theta=0## and ##\theta=\pi## are really different.

Now you may ask which of this stationary solutions are stable under small deviations. To that end one linearizees the equation of motion. So let's write ##\theta=\theta_0 + \epsilon##, where ##\theta_0## is a stationary solution and ##\epsilon## a small deviation from it. If ##\epsilon## stays small, it's allowed to linearize the equation of motion, i.e., writing
$$m R^2 \ddot{\theta}=mR^2 \ddot{\epsilon} = -V'(\theta_0+\epsilon)=-V'(\theta_0) - \epsilon V''(\theta_0) + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2) =- \epsilon V''(\theta_0) + \mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2).$$
Neglecting the higher-order terms you get
$$\ddot{\epsilon}=-\frac{V''(\theta_0)}{m R^2} \epsilon.$$
If now ##V''(\theta_0)>0##, i.e., if the potential has a minimum at ##\theta=\theta_0##, you get an equation of motion of a harmonic oscillator,
$$\ddot{\epsilon}=-\omega^2 \epsilon \; \Rightarrow \; \epsilon(t)=\hat{\epsilon} \cos(\omega t -\varphi),$$
which means that the deviation from the equilibrium limit stays small for all times, provided the amplitude ##\hat{\epsilon}## is small. Here ##\omega^2=V''(\theta_0)/(m R^2)>0## and thus ##\omega \in \mathbb{R}##.

If on the other hand ##V''(\theta_0)<0##, i.e., if the potential has a maximum at ##\theta=\theta_0##, the equation of motion reads
$$\ddot{\epsilon}=+\Omega^2 \epsilon,$$
where ##\Omega^2=-V''(\theta_0)/(m R^2)>0##. Now the general solution of our linearized equation reads
$$\epsilon=A \exp(\Omega t)+B \exp(-\Omega t).$$
This means that the stationary solution is not stable of all small perturbations since if ##A \neq 0## the perturbation doesn't stay small but grows exponentially, and the linear equation of motion is not valid at later times.

All this generalizes to the multidimensional case.

Theorem(little bit informally)

If in a Hamiltonian system with a smooth Hamiltonian ##H(p,x)=T+V## the function ##V## has a local isolated minimum at a point ##x_0## then ##x_0## is a stable equilibrium.

If ##H## is an analytic function then the inverse is also true.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is stability in the context of classical mechanics?

Stability refers to the tendency of a system to return to its original state after being disturbed. In classical mechanics, this can be seen in the behavior of objects under the influence of forces, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth.

2. How is stability related to equilibrium?

Stability and equilibrium are closely related concepts in classical mechanics. A system is said to be in equilibrium when all forces acting on it are balanced, and it is not moving. Stability refers to the system's ability to maintain this equilibrium, even when it is disturbed.

3. What is the difference between stable and unstable equilibrium?

In stable equilibrium, a system will return to its original state after being disturbed, while in unstable equilibrium, the system will move away from its original state when disturbed. An example of stable equilibrium is a ball sitting at the bottom of a bowl, while an example of unstable equilibrium is a ball balanced on top of a hill.

4. How is the stability of a system determined?

The stability of a system is determined by the shape of its potential energy curve. If the potential energy curve has a minimum point, the system is in stable equilibrium. If the potential energy curve has a maximum point, the system is in unstable equilibrium.

5. Can a system have multiple points of stability?

Yes, a system can have multiple points of stability, known as metastable states. These are states where the system is in equilibrium, but any slight disturbance can cause it to move to a different equilibrium state. An example of this is a ball sitting at the top of a hill, which is in equilibrium but can easily roll down the hill with a small push.