1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balancing Van der Waals force with a spring

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An AFM tip has a spring constant k, a colloidal bead with radius r is glues onto the cantilever tip. Derive an expression and plot the deformation of the cantilever spring, Δx, as a function of distance the tip of the cantilever is moved towards another bead of the same radius.

2. Relevant equations

The cantilever tip can be treated as a Hookean spring. So Fspring = -kΔx

The non-retarded Van der Waals interaction free energy between two spheres of the same radius is:

W = -AR/(12D)

where D is the distance between the spheres, R is the radius of the spheres, and A is the Hamaker constant.

The Van der Waals force is simply the derivative of the potential w.r.t. D:

Fvan = AR/(12D2)

3. The attempt at a solution

The question seems fairly straight forward. At equilibrium, Fspring = Fv, so

-kΔx = AR/(12D2)

we can say D is the distance the cantilever tip is manual moved (z), plus the distance the spring is stretched because of VDW interaction.

-kΔx = AR/(12(z+x)2)

For some reason, I can't solve for Δx as a function of z. I feel like I'm missing some trivial step, and would appreciate any help with a solution.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Should that read -kΔx = AR/(12(z+Δx)2)?
    If so, can't you just multiply it out to get a cubic? If Δx can be assumed small c.w. z then you can approximate it thus:
    -kΔx = AR/(12z2(1+Δx/z)2) ≈ AR/(12z2(1+2Δx/z)) ≈ AR(1-2Δx/z)/(12z2)
    That now being linear in Δx, solve in the obvious way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook