Van der Waals forces between woven carbon nanotubes

In summary, the TED Talks video discusses the potential of using carbon nanotubes to build a space elevator. The speaker explains how nanotubes can be pulled from a "nanotube forest" and spun together to create a long thread, but the rupture strength is lower compared to individual nanotubes. They also suggest that shorter nanotubes may have sufficient Van der Waals forces to equal the tensile strength of a single nanotube, making them suitable for constructing a space elevator. However, the minimum length of parallel nanotubes needed for this to happen is still unknown. It is also unclear on what parameters the Van der Waals forces depend on. Spoon feeding is discouraged and further research is needed to determine the minimum length
Happablapp
I was watching the following TED Talks video about using carbon nanotubes to build a space elevator:

After the 12-13 minute point the speaker starts describing how very short carbon nanotubes can be pulled from a "nanotube forest" and spun together to create a very long thread. However the rupture strength is low compared to individual nanotubes. Elsewhere I've read that it is Van der Waals forces that cause carbon nanotubes to adhere to each other in a nanotube forest, allowing them to be pulled and spin into longer threads. The speaker suggests that it might not be necessary to grow nanotubes tens of thousands of kilometers long to build a space elevator, but rather that much shorter carbon nanotubes will have sufficient Van der Waals forces acting between each other to equal the tensile strength of a single carbon nanotube, allowing a sufficiently strong space elevator cable to be spun from relatively short carbon nanotubes. Can anyone tell me how to theoretically estimate the minimum length of two parallel single walled carbon nanotubes such that the Van der Waals forces between them are equal to the tensile strength of one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Happablapp said:
Can anyone tell me how to theoretically estimate the minimum length of two parallel single walled carbon nanotubes such that the Van der Waals forces between them are equal to the tensile strength of one?
What radius?

Bystander said:
What radius?

I assume most carbon nanotubes would have nanometer scale radii, but let's keep it non-specific. Let's represent radius as a variable "R".

And on what parameters do vdW forces depend?

Bystander said:
And on what parameters do vdW forces depend?
Beats me. Not my area of expertise.

Happablapp said:
Beats me. Not my area of expertise.
"Spoon feeding" is discouraged on PF. Take a stab at it.

Bystander said:
"Spoon feeding" is discouraged on PF. Take a stab at it.
Already did. If it was as simple as doing a Google search, I wouldn't be posting my question on PF.

1. What are Van der Waals forces?

Van der Waals forces are weak intermolecular forces that exist between atoms and molecules. They are caused by the fluctuations in the distribution of electrons within the molecules, resulting in temporary dipoles that attract neighboring molecules.

2. How do Van der Waals forces affect woven carbon nanotubes?

Van der Waals forces play a crucial role in the stability of woven carbon nanotubes. These forces are responsible for the adhesion between individual carbon nanotubes, allowing them to form a strong and cohesive structure.

3. Are Van der Waals forces the only type of interaction between woven carbon nanotubes?

No, Van der Waals forces are not the only type of interaction between woven carbon nanotubes. Other types of interactions, such as covalent bonds and electrostatic interactions, also contribute to the overall stability of the structure.

4. Can Van der Waals forces be manipulated to improve the properties of woven carbon nanotubes?

Yes, Van der Waals forces can be manipulated through various methods such as functionalization or doping of the carbon nanotubes. These techniques can enhance the intermolecular interactions and improve the overall strength and properties of the structure.

5. How do Van der Waals forces affect the electrical conductivity of woven carbon nanotubes?

Van der Waals forces have a significant impact on the electrical conductivity of woven carbon nanotubes. They help to maintain the alignment and spacing between individual nanotubes, which is crucial for efficient electron transport and high conductivity.