Ball thrown into a vertical jet?

In summary, a ball thrown into a vertical jet will oscillate up and down due to the spring force from the water pushing it back up. It may not reach an equilibrium position as the strength of the spring force may vary in different areas of the jet.
topgun08
Ball thrown into a vertical jet?

Homework Statement

Like any good physicist, I always have a ball in my pocket to throw into
the vertical jet of any fountain I happen to find. The result is entertaining (at least I think
so). Explain, with a sketch, what you expect to see (you need not derive any equations).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing the ball oscillates up an down...but does it eventually come to rest at its equilibrium position?
Where is the spring force coming from? That is the force that pushes the ball back up once it as gone vertically down on the jet...why doesn't the ball just stay down?

Physics news on Phys.org

When the water falls back down, the water would fall faster than the ball can fall with the water, depending on the speed of the jet perhaps?

Also, I doubt it ever reaches an equilibrium position, as that would require the water to have an equal spring force in all areas of the jet, while in real life I think the top of the jet is weaker than the middle or the bottom.

I dunno, just throwing in some ideas. I could be wrong..

1. How does the velocity of the ball affect its trajectory when thrown into a vertical jet?

The velocity of the ball has a significant impact on its trajectory when thrown into a vertical jet. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer and higher flight path, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and lower flight path. Additionally, the angle at which the ball is thrown will also affect its trajectory.

2. What factors influence the height reached by the ball when thrown into a vertical jet?

The height reached by the ball when thrown into a vertical jet is influenced by several factors. These include the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, the strength and direction of the jet, and air resistance. The mass and size of the ball may also play a role.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of the ball when thrown into a vertical jet?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the motion of the ball when thrown into a vertical jet. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can slow down the ball and alter its trajectory, resulting in a lower height reached and a shorter flight path.

4. Can the ball reach a height greater than the height of the vertical jet when thrown into it?

Yes, it is possible for the ball to reach a height greater than the height of the vertical jet. This can occur if the initial velocity of the ball is high enough and the angle of the throw is at an optimal angle. However, air resistance and the strength of the jet may also play a role in limiting the ball's maximum height.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect its motion when thrown into a vertical jet?

The mass of the ball can affect its motion when thrown into a vertical jet, but it is not the only determining factor. A heavier ball may experience more air resistance and require more force from the jet to overcome it, resulting in a shorter flight path. However, the initial velocity and angle of the throw may also play a significant role in the ball's trajectory.