Ballistic free-fall - rock slide

In summary, a rock fall occurred in Yosemite Valley on July 10, 1996, resulting in a projectile type of ballistic free-fall. The estimated volume of the detached granite was 78,000 cubic yards with a mass of 80,000 metric tons. The rock fall is a natural and continuous process in Yosemite Valley, usually resulting in rock slides. However, this fall was unique in its projectile motion. Using the profile of the fall and knowledge of projectile motion, the launch angle, components of velocity, time in air, and final velocity components can be determined. However, there are only two equations with three variables, so additional information, such as the initial velocity, may be needed to solve the problem.
gremmie

Homework Statement

Freefall.jpg

At 6:52 pm PDT Wednesday, July 10, 1996, a large block of granite with an estimated volume of 78,000 cubic yards detached from the cliff between Washburn Point and Glacier Point in Yosemite Valley. The estimated mass of the granite is 80,000 metric tons. Rock falls are a natural and continuous process on the granite cliffs in Yosemite Valley, however, most of the falls result in rock slides. This fall was unique in that it resulted in a projectile type of ballistic free-fall.

Shown on the last page is a profile of the fall. The rock mass slid down the rock shelf and went into the projectile motion seen in the diagram.

Use the profile and what you have learned about projectile motion to answer the following questions:

a. Use information about the rock shelf (see diagram) to determine the launch angle at the point where the rock mass went into projectile motion

b. Write the components of the rock’s velocity at the point where it went into projectile motion in terms of the initial launch angle and

c. Calculate the time the rock was in the air

d. Calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the rock’s velocity the instant before it struck the ground (final velocity components and )

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im stuck ... my knowns are y_0= 1750 and x_f = about 350... i tried to get time by using height = 1/2 gt^2... but it seems like there is an initial velocity of the slide that i need to find time if I am going to use y_f = y_o + v_i(t) -1/2(g) t^2 to find time.. or if I am going about it the wrong way let me know..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going the right way.
But here we have got two equations with three variables. Maybe they want you to obtain the angle by measuring it on the image above. Not sure though.

1. What is ballistic free-fall?

Ballistic free-fall is the motion of an object falling through the air under the influence of gravity alone, without any external forces acting on it.

2. What is a rock slide?

A rock slide is a type of landslide where large rocks or boulders slide down a steep slope.

3. How does ballistic free-fall relate to rock slides?

During a rock slide, the rocks are in a state of ballistic free-fall as they fall down the slope due to the force of gravity.

4. What factors affect the speed of a rock slide?

The speed of a rock slide is affected by the slope angle, the size and weight of the rocks, and the surface conditions of the slope.

5. Can ballistic free-fall and rock slides be predicted or controlled?

While we can study and understand the factors that contribute to ballistic free-fall and rock slides, they are unpredictable and cannot be fully controlled. However, measures can be taken to mitigate the risk of rock slides, such as stabilizing the slope or implementing warning systems.