Ballistics -- How deep does the bullet penetrate into the wood?

• Thread starter duchuy
  • Start date
Homework Statement:
How deep in a tree would a mass m firearm projectile penetrate at velocity v0 if the frictional force between the projectile and the wood is C ?
Relevant Equations:
d = mv^2 / 2C
Hi, I was given this exercice where I have to calculate the penetration distance, knowing that m = 20g, v = 300km/h and C = 750 N and I have to give the results with two significant numbers. I really thought that all I had to do was replace the values so I did :
d = (20.10^-3) x (300/3,6)^2 / 2x750 and I ended up with d = 0,0925925925...
But when I entered the answer with two significant figures = 0,093, the answer was wrong.
Please help me find me find my mistake thank you so much!
Sorry if i have misused any term, I translated this from french.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Homework Statement:: How deep in a tree would a mass m firearm projectile penetrate at velocity v0 if the frictional force between the projectile and the wood is C ?
Relevant Equations:: d = mv^2 / 2C

Hi, I was given this exercice where I have to calculate the penetration distance, knowing that m = 20g, v = 300km/h and C = 750 N and I have to give the results with two significant numbers. I really thought that all I had to do was replace the values so I did :
d = (20.10^-3) x (300/3,6)^2 / 2x750 and I ended up with d = 0,0925925925...
But when I entered the answer with two significant figures = 0,093, the answer was wrong.
Please help me find me find my mistake thank you so much!
Sorry if i have misused any term, I translated this from french.
It looks right. It might be two decimal places, rather than two significant figures. Or, the answer in cm?

oh my god the answer is actually in cm, thank you so much! how'd you figure that out...?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
oh my god the answer is actually in cm, thank you so much! how'd you figure that out...?
I'm clever with things like that!

• Haha
Likes berkeman, Steve4Physics and duchuy