1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much does a bullet penetrate a wall?

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bullet weighing m = 50g with a initial speed of v = 300m/s hits a wall. The wall is build in a way that the value of the force it causes on the bullet is given by: aTdKzyA.png . The time starts after the bullet hits the wall and F0 = 70N. How much does the bullet penetrate the wall, in centimeters?

2. Relevant equations
    Force made by the wall on the bullet = aTdKzyA.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first thought was: to determine the distance I need the time, initial speed, final speed and aceleration, depending on the equation. So, I tried to find the time. Failed. Then I tried to find the aceleration... failed. Note that I'm just beginning and my high-school wasn't that great, so I'm having some troubles with exercises like this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2
    The problem involves calculus if you're up to that at least.

Can you set up a relationship between speed and acceleration?

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3
    This is a tricky problem, so it is very important that you really think about how to approach it instead of just trying different things. Can you describe what is physically happening here?

It would be a useful exercise to solve for the case with a constant force for comparison. Then determine what you need to do differently due to the time-dependent force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted