Balloon Physics: Impact of Punctured Balloon on Horizontal Balance

  • Thread starter Thread starter kevinnn
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
kevinnn
Messages
117
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two identical balloons are of the same volume are pumped up with air to more than atmospheric pressure and suspended on the two ends of a stick so the stick is horizontally balanced. If one of the balloons is punctured is the balance of the stick upset?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I say yes. But I don't know why.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kevinnn said:

Homework Statement


Two identical balloons are of the same volume are pumped up with air to more than atmospheric pressure and suspended on the two ends of a stick so the stick is horizontally balanced. If one of the balloons is punctured is the balance of the stick upset?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I say yes. But I don't know why.

If the contents of the two balloons have more than atmospheric pressure then the balloons are heavier than air. So?
 
So, if the balloon on the left is popped then the stick will sag towards the right, or the direction of the balloon that is left. Is it that simple? I thought there might be something I was missing?
 
kevinnn said:
So, if the balloon on the left is popped then the stick will sag towards the right, or the direction of the balloon that is left. Is it that simple? I thought there might be something I was missing?

Yes, both balloons are pulling down on the stick. If you pop one, it will stop pulling down. Simple as that.