Balmer Wavelength for Hydrogen-like Fe Atom (Z=26): 0.971 nm

  • Thread starter Thread starter Meekay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wavelength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Meekay
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I have been having trouble with this Balmer wavelength problem and was hoping I can get a little guidance.

The question: Find the balmer wavelength (n=3 --> n=2) emitted from a hydrogen-like Fe atom (z=26)

The answer is supposed to be 0.971 nm

My attempt:

1/lambda = R(1/n'^2 - 1/n2)
Since this is a hydrogen-like atom, it should be straight forward

I get lambda = 36/5*R which comes out to be 654 nm

And if I use one of Bohrs equations: E = -Z^2(R/n^2) and E3 = E2+ (hc/lambda) I get a value of 1200 nm
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out, my book did not give me this equation for hydrogen-like atoms:

1/lambda = R*Z^2(1/n'^2 - 1/n^2) this gives me 0.97 nm

Thanks wikipedia!