Building a Balsa Wood Tower- Tips and Ideas

• Thread starter allison23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tower Wood
In summary, the conversation discusses building a structure out of balsa wood and glue for a competition. The structure needs to be between 7.5 and 8.5 inches high, have a mass no greater than 12 grams, and be able to support at least 60 pounds. The person is struggling to figure out how to apply Euler's Buckling Theorem to their design and is looking for ideas. They mention a competition called Odyssey of the Mind and how creativity is important in addition to engineering skills. Other participants share their ideas and tips for building a strong structure.
allison23
I was assigned to build a structure out of balsa wood (1/8 X 1/8 inch) and glue. It has to be between 7.5 and 8.5 inches high , cannot have mass greater than12 grams, and has to be able support at least 60 pounds (this would only get me about a C) while withstanding torque.

I've been researching online and i found Euler's Buckling Theorem, but I can't really figure out how to apply it to the design. I have not been able to find much other information and I honestly have no idea what I should do. Most of my classmates just seem to be building whatever comes to their minds first, as my teacher has not really told us how to approach the problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like Odyssey of the Mind (or some teacher who liked what they saw in this competition). Hint: Don't build a balsa house.

What is the most stable geometrical shape?

Which would be more likely to break under pressure: a single long piece of balsa, or a pair of half-length pieces connected end-to-end to equal the length of the single long piece?

Edited to add:

Odyssey of the Mind continues! This is such a cool left-brain/right-brain competition. Their home page is http://www.odysseyofthemind.com"
Problem 4: Out Of The Box Balsa
The team's problem is to design, build, and test a structure made of balsa wood and glue that will balance and support weights. The team is allowed to use materials other than balsa wood and glue to assemble the parts of the structure. The structure will be designed to fit completely inside a box that is smaller than the assembled structure. When competition time begins, the team will remove the parts and assembly materials from the box, creatively assemble its structure, and test it by placing weights onto it.

I judged this category many years ago. The winning entry supported over 400 pounds. This is a left-right brain competition. Boring engineering alone doesn't win the day. They spun a play involving DaVinci, time travel, and their invention while exposing their structure and then piling weight on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I went to the website and I'm still at a loss as to what how I should design my tower. Do you have any ideas about what kind of shapes to use as cross sections and what kind of joints to use to connect peices of wood? thanks

I have the same problem. I have to build a tower out of 18 feet of balsa wood. But I only have to make it hold 15 pounds. I would like to make it stronger than that though. I was thinking of making the inside of it inter lock like those little square magnetix toys my little brother has, but having about 9 of them to make the tower even stronger (each one would be turned differently like ... the 1st one being turned differently than the 2nd but the same as the 3rd so on). Or make the inside kind of like a wooden gate with cross beams. I am just trying to find out if these are reasonable ideas or not. (I also heard that someones balsa wood tower held about 320 pounds!)
Any ideas ...
Thank you

Last edited:
Ok I am in 8th grade and i made a tower holding 543 pounds before exploding.
1. Use double beam if possible(that is to glue 2 beams together for main support.
2. Use no less than four main rods, if more(that was our contest limit) put more.
3. Put the beams close together. The closer they are the stronger it is.
Those are the rules that got me first place.

1. How tall should a balsa wood tower be?

The height of a balsa wood tower depends on the specific requirements of your project or competition. Generally, taller towers have a higher chance of collapsing due to their weight, so it's important to find the right balance between height and stability.

2. What is the best adhesive to use for building a balsa wood tower?

The best adhesive for balsa wood towers is white glue or wood glue. These types of glue have a strong bond and are easy to work with. Hot glue can also be used, but it tends to dry quickly and can be challenging to adjust once applied.

3. How can I make my balsa wood tower more stable?

To make your balsa wood tower more stable, you can add diagonal braces or cross bracing to the structure. This will help distribute the weight and provide additional support. You can also strengthen the base of the tower by using thicker or multiple layers of balsa wood.

4. Are there any design techniques that can improve the strength of a balsa wood tower?

Yes, there are a few design techniques that can improve the strength of a balsa wood tower. One is to use triangles in the structure, as they are the strongest geometric shape. Another is to add a wide base and gradually taper the tower towards the top, as this will distribute the weight more evenly.

5. Can I paint or decorate my balsa wood tower?

Yes, you can paint or decorate your balsa wood tower. However, keep in mind that any additional weight from paint or decorations may affect the stability of the tower. If you do choose to decorate your tower, use lightweight materials and avoid adding too much weight to the structure.