Tower out of paper that would support a textbook

In summary, this person is trying to make a cardboard tube out of paper and trying to find ways to make it stronger.
Serenity4uswild
Hello :) I was assigned a project yesterday and have been struggling with it trying to find my perfect measurements... I have to create a tower out of paper that would support a textbook
My materials are paper and glue. My paper may be as long as I want but no wider than 1 inch, I currently have eighty 1 inch strips of paper. Also, the final product cannot weigh any more than 45 grams. The mission of this project is to try to get my structure to 12 inches in height. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Have you considered folding it the long way?

Likes Serenity4uswild
If I were to attempt this project I would investigate and most likely construct vertical cylindrical pillars of paper (most likely multilayered, glue sheets to each other) to support the textbook.

Edit: make these hollow.

Likes Serenity4uswild
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Have you considered folding it the long way?
Yes, I have. But, I just wasn't sure how I would connect all of my folded pieces together for support.

Sirsh said:
If I were to attempt this project I would investigate and most likely construct vertical cylindrical pillars of paper (most likely multilayered, glue sheets to each other) to support the textbook.
Oh! I see! Thank you :)

How much does the book weigh?

Likes Serenity4uswild
About 3.5 lbs

The cardboard tube in the middle of a toilet roll is made from long strips of paper. Take one apart to find out how it is done.

You might make a slightly tapered tube by helically winding glued strips onto a former or “mandrel”. If it is tapered it will slide off more easily. You might be able to find a plastic bottle or tube with the right shape, if it is not tapered then it could be crushed or broken to remove it once the glue has set. Fill it with water to maintain its shape during fabrication. Once it is made, if it is over weight, put it in an oven to dry. Most of the weight will be water.

Likes Sirsh, Serenity4uswild, anorlunda and 1 other person
Triangular pyramid structures would also be quite stable.

Likes Serenity4uswild
Flat faces will buckle under load. Any structure with flat faces will transfer the load to the corners which may then progressively collapse due to the total load. For maximum strength per weight all vertical lines on the surface should be straight so as to avoid buckling. But any horizontal plane section through the structure should have curved faces to prevent buckling. The tighter the radius of curvature the stronger the structure will be.

The simplest structure that meets those constraints is a cylindrical tube. A more complex, but stronger surface would be a cylinder with many corrugations in the surface running parallel with the axis. The corrugations will have tighter curvature than the cylinder. If a corrugated cylinder had an external surface layer added, it would be more like corrugated cardboard tube, a structure that is very strong in the direction of the corrugations.

Baluncore said:
Flat faces will buckle under load. Any structure with flat faces will transfer the load to the corners which may then progressively collapse due to the total load. For maximum strength per weight all vertical lines on the surface should be straight so as to avoid buckling. But any horizontal plane section through the structure should have curved faces to prevent buckling. The tighter the radius of curvature the stronger the structure will be.

The simplest structure that meets those constraints is a cylindrical tube. A more complex, but stronger surface would be a cylinder with many corrugations in the surface running parallel with the axis. The corrugations will have tighter curvature than the cylinder. If a corrugated cylinder had an external surface layer added, it would be more like corrugated cardboard tube, a structure that is very strong in the direction of the corrugations.

For further information on this, OP, research properties of plane areas and radius of gyration specifically.

1. How tall can a paper tower support a textbook?

The height of a paper tower that can support a textbook depends on the quality and strength of the paper used. Generally, a well-constructed paper tower can support a textbook up to a height of 2-3 feet.

2. What is the best type of paper to use for building a tower that can support a textbook?

The best type of paper to use for building a tower that can support a textbook is a thick and sturdy paper, such as cardstock or poster board. These types of paper have a higher weight capacity and are less likely to collapse under the weight of a textbook.

3. How many sheets of paper are needed to build a tower that can support a textbook?

The number of sheets of paper needed to build a tower that can support a textbook depends on the thickness and size of the paper used. On average, it takes around 10-15 sheets of paper to build a tower strong enough to support a textbook.

4. Can a paper tower support more than one textbook?

It is unlikely that a paper tower can support multiple textbooks, as the weight would be too much for the paper to handle. However, with careful construction and reinforcement, it may be possible to support two or three textbooks.

5. How can I ensure that my paper tower will be strong enough to support a textbook?

To ensure that your paper tower is strong enough to support a textbook, you should focus on creating a stable and sturdy base. This can be achieved by overlapping the paper sheets and using a strong adhesive, such as glue or tape. Additionally, adding support beams or columns within the tower can help distribute the weight evenly and prevent collapse.