How can I build the most efficient mouse trap car to travel over 175 feet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brandonian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Project
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Brandonian
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone, My name is Brandon and I have been assigned a mouse trap car project for my high school engineering class.

Homework Statement



The following are the specs:
-I need it to go the maximum distance
-Must travel in a straight line
The materials supplied:
-4 ea. CD's (wheels)
-2 ea. 1/4" brass axles
-4 ea. 1/4" beveled rubber washers
-4 ea. 1/4" flast rubber washers
-4 ea. 1/4" flat steel washers
-2 ea. Balsaa wood chassis rails, 36" long max.
-1 ea. 1/8" x 3" x 12" balsa deck
-1 ea. 1/8" x 12" brass tube
-1 Small mouse trap (4.5 x 10 centimeters)
-1 Small zip tie
-Fishing line cut to any length

Homework Equations


My concern is figuring out how to build the most efficient mouse trap car to go upwards of 175 feet. In addition I am allowed to use my own materials but the ones listed above must be used. Also, the mouse trap it self can NOT be modified. Does anyone have any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I did one when i was in SEA (Science and engineering academy) camp a few summers back. I found that if you keep the axels well lubricated and sturdy, it would be a good start. just make sure you get all of the pieces put to gether as well as you can and don't cut corners. that's the best i got, but nobody else seems to be helping