Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Band decomposed charge density

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    Hi,there are many literatures concered with band decomposed charge density(As an example,see FIG.3 in PHYSICAL REVIEW B 78, 235430 2008).
    For condution band,there should not be charges or electrons when the system is in the ground state,but,those literares still show a band decomposed charge density picture,I'm very confused with that.
    Douasing

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a link for that figure? I can find it in google, but it's not available for free.

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3
    Of course. The link is http://journals.aps.org/prb/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevB.78.235430 [Broken]
    And the FiG.3 is shown as follows:
    upload_2014-12-15_12-34-48.png
    FIG. 3. Color online Band decomposed charge density at the Gamma
    point for 13,0, 14,0, and 16,0.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Dec 15, 2014 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

In general, the conduction band isn't empty, not even in the ground state, especially in metals. So I don't see a reason as why not to calculate charge density. The pictures you are showing is the electron density $$ |\psi|^2$$ as would result from a single Bloch function or orbital being filled. Obviously, you can plot it irrespective of whether the orbital is filled or not.

6. Aug 14, 2015 #5
    In VASP, there is a parameter called NBMOD as follows:
    NBMOD=0 : Take all bands to calculate "the charge density", even unoccupied bands are taken into account.
    NBMOD=-1: Calculate the "total charge density" as usual. This is the default value if nothing else is given.
    What's the difference bewteen "the charge density" and "the total charge density" ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook