Band structures with non-primitive cells

In summary: The slide 11 of the presentation has a different band structure than the slide 9. The slide 11 has zones that fold over while the slide 9 does not. It is unknown why this information was lost.
erst
How does one interpret band structures (i.e. E,k solution pairs for a given Hamiltonian) for a non-primitive cell? I was looking at these slides: http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/castep/CASTEP_talks_06/clark2.pdf

Slide 9 has the "normal" silicon band structure obtained with a primitive cell. Slide 11 uses a cubic cell and obtains a different band structure. Do they somehow contain equivalent information? I know zones fold over, but the non-primitive band structure actually seems to have a direct band gap at Gamma, while Si is known to have an indirect gap. How was this information lost?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear, erst
I have some problem like you ...
I've calculated the band structure of si by mathematica.
I could plot non-primitive bandstructure (slide 11). (by psudopotential coefficients)
It is true.

I couldn't calculate the slide 9.

I ussing thease deffinitions for non-primitive ...

kPosition[address_] := Module[{pos},
Which[address == "\[CapitalGamma]",
pos = {0, 0, 0};
, address == "X",
pos = {0, 1/2, 0};
, address == "M",
pos = {0, 1/2, 1/2};
, address == "R",
pos = {1/2, 1/2, 1/2};
];
pos];

I don't know why the gamma point=(0,0,0) has 4 eigenvalues in the slide 11 in valence bands but 2 eigenvalues in the slide 9. D-:
R={0..5,0.5,0.5} in the slide 11 is the L point in the slide 9.Mohammad

Last edited:
A larger unit cell in real space gives a smaller Brillouin zone in reciprocal space.

If, for example, the real space cell is 4 times larger than the primitive cell, then the Brillouin zone will be 4 times smaller.

Since it must contain the same information and describe the same number of electrons, that means you will get 4 times more bands.
At the BZ boundary, these bands will meet without gap. In fact, the extra band can be obtained by taking the larger BZ and folding the bands inward at the BZ boundary of the smaller BZ.

What is lost are the selection rules, e.g. it looks as if you could have a transition from an "unfolded" to a "folded" band. This is because you loose some information about the periodicity when you go from a small real space cell to a larger, non-primitive one.

Thank you very much M Quack for your post

I could calculate the primitive cell band structure by your guidance.

forgive me because of my poor English

1. What is a primitive cell?

A primitive cell is the smallest repeating unit of a crystal lattice that contains all the symmetry elements of the crystal. It is the building block of the crystal structure.

2. How is a non-primitive cell different from a primitive cell?

A non-primitive cell is a larger unit cell that contains more than one primitive cell. It is often used to describe more complex crystal structures that cannot be fully described by a single primitive cell.

3. Why do we use non-primitive cells to study band structures?

Non-primitive cells allow us to better understand the electronic properties of complex crystal structures. By considering a larger unit cell, we can more accurately depict the periodicity of the crystal and the behavior of electrons within it.

4. How do band structures with non-primitive cells differ from those with primitive cells?

Band structures with non-primitive cells may show a more complex energy dispersion due to the larger unit cell. They may also exhibit a higher number of bands, representing the additional degrees of freedom within the larger unit cell.

5. Are band structures with non-primitive cells more accurate than those with primitive cells?

It depends on the crystal structure being studied. In some cases, using a non-primitive cell may provide a more accurate representation of the electronic properties of the crystal. However, in other cases, a primitive cell may be sufficient to describe the band structure. The choice of cell type depends on the specific research question and system being studied.