The C atoms in a diamond do not form a primitive lattice, hence the elementary cell has to contain more than one atom. Specifically, a translation which maps a selected C atom onto its neighbour does not map the whole crystal lattice onto itself.
On the other hand, replacing a cell containing two neighbouring atoms by a point will yield a primitive lattice, hence the smallest unit cell possible has to contain two atoms.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving