Banking Summer Internship for Maths Student

In summary, a maths student in their third year is seeking advice on which banking internship would be suitable for them. They are considering the technology option at Morgan Stanley, but are unsure about the different sectors in the bank. With programming experience, they are wondering which area would be best suited for them. Another person suggests going for a front office QA internship, specifically in either IBD or "Strats and Modeling". They also mention being reserved about equity research and suggest asking around on WSO for more advice. The original student then asks for clarification on the strats and modelling option and what IBD stands for.
larkin1993
I'm a maths student going into 3rd year. I was told to start early looking into a banking internship for next summer. The problem is I'm really confused by all the different sectors of the banks. Taking Morgan Stanley for example http://www.morganstanley.com/about/careers/programs/summeranalyst.html . The technology option looks like it might be suitable but I've heard lots of people saying you might want avoid being stuck in the back office. There are so many different areas and I'm wondering which one I as a maths student with programming experience would be suited too? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm on the buy side rather than the sell side, so my advice is limited, but I don't believe there's a lot of creative quantitative work to be done at BBBs for math interns. I'd just go for any front office QA internship. Edit: Looking at the list, I'd go with either IBD or "Strats and Modeling" (never noticed MS had such a department). Possibly fixed income. I'm rather reserved about 'equity research' because that's an area where I feel intelligence is the least of an edge, even though the phrase includes the word 'research'. Ask around WSO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit confused about the strats and modelling option http://www.morganstanley.com/about/careers/pdf/SA_SM_QF_NA.pdf. At the bottom under requirements it says "A Bachelor’s degree with expertise in Mathematics, Financial Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Quantitative Finance or Computer Science." It then however refers to the applicants as students. Does that mean the summer analyst positions are not open to undergraduate students? When you say IBD I assume the IB is investment banking but what does the D stand for? Thanks again

:) Investment banking division.

I understand your confusion and concerns about choosing the right banking internship for your background and interests. It is important to do your research and explore your options before making a decision.

Firstly, it is great that you are considering a banking internship as it can provide valuable experience and skills for your future career. However, it is important to note that different banks and sectors within banks have different focuses and responsibilities. For example, the technology sector at Morgan Stanley may involve developing and implementing software for the bank's operations, while the front office sector may involve working directly with clients and handling financial transactions.

As a maths student with programming experience, you may be suited for roles that involve data analysis, risk management, or financial modeling. These roles may fall under the technology or front office sectors, depending on the bank. It is important to carefully read through the job descriptions and requirements to determine which sector aligns best with your skills and interests.

Regarding the concern about being stuck in the back office, it is important to remember that all roles within a bank are essential for its functioning. While front office roles may seem more glamorous, back office roles are crucial for the smooth operation of the bank. It is ultimately up to you to choose the sector that aligns with your skills and interests, rather than worrying about perceptions of certain roles.

In conclusion, my advice would be to thoroughly research and explore your options within the banking industry. Consider reaching out to professionals in different sectors to gain a better understanding of their roles and responsibilities. And most importantly, choose a sector that aligns with your skills and interests, rather than worrying about societal perceptions. Best of luck in your search for a banking summer internship!

What is a banking summer internship for maths students?

A banking summer internship for maths students is a program that provides an opportunity for students studying mathematics to gain practical experience in the banking industry during their summer break. It is typically a short-term program that allows students to work in a bank or financial institution and learn about various roles and responsibilities within the industry.

How can a banking summer internship benefit a maths student?

A banking summer internship can benefit a maths student in several ways. It can provide them with valuable hands-on experience and exposure to the banking industry, which can enhance their understanding of theoretical concepts. It can also help them develop transferable skills such as problem-solving, data analysis, and communication, which are highly valued in the job market.

What are the qualifications for a banking summer internship for maths students?

The qualifications for a banking summer internship for maths students vary depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, students should be studying mathematics or a related field, have a strong academic record, and possess relevant skills such as analytical and numerical abilities. Some programs may also require previous work experience or knowledge of financial concepts.

What can a maths student expect to learn during a banking summer internship?

A maths student can expect to learn various aspects of the banking industry during their summer internship. This may include gaining knowledge about financial markets, understanding different types of banking products and services, and learning about risk management and regulatory compliance. They may also have the opportunity to work on projects and tasks related to their specific area of interest.

How can a maths student apply for a banking summer internship?

There are several ways a maths student can apply for a banking summer internship. They can directly apply to banks or financial institutions that offer such programs, check with their university's career center for internship opportunities, or attend job fairs and networking events to connect with potential employers. It is also essential to have a well-written resume and cover letter highlighting relevant skills and experience.