1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Barrier Deformation and Impact of Car

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Force exerted on a car by a crash barrier as the barrier crushes is F=-(4.5+140s) kN where s is the distance in metres from the initial contact. If a car of mass 2000 kg is travelling at 100 km/h when it hits the barrier the barrier deformation required to bring the car to rest will be most nearly: 0.35,1.04,1.78,2.81,3.29 metres

2. Relevant equations
    Not entirely sure which to use here? Impulse => Fdt=mv1-mv0 or conservation of energy:
    0.5mv^2+(F)ds = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    0.5mv^2+(F)ds = 0
    0.5(2000)(27.78)^2+[-4.5s-70s^2] = 0, solve for s and i believe i got the incorrect answers (it is supposed to be 3.29m)

any clues guys am i completely off in my method? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your method looks fine. If you use the work-energy theorem, you get W = ΔK. To bring the car to rest, the final K must be 0, so W = 0 - K0 = -K0 where K0 is the initial kinetic energy. Let S (capital) be the displacement of the barrier that is enough to bring the car to a rest. Then

[tex] -K_0 = W = \int_0^S F(s)\,ds = -\int_0^S (4.5 + 140s)\,ds [/tex]

[tex] K_0 = 4.5S + 70S^2 [/tex]

After this, it's just a matter of plugging in the given values for S and seeing which one gets you closest to K0. If you got it wrong, you must have an arithmetic error somewhere. What did you get for K0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook