Base e to an imaginary exponent seeming contradiction

In summary, There is no contradiction in the given equations, as the complex exponential is infinite-valued and thus can have multiple roots. The notation of "##e^z##" may be misleading and lead to false assumptions, as the equation "##\exp(a b) = (\exp(a))^b##" is not always true. The value of "##1^a##" also depends on the choice of branch for the complex logarithm.
rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
<Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum.>

1. Homework Statement

Given 0 < a < 1, i = √(-1),
ei2πa = cos 2πa + i sin 2πa
but also, ei2πa = (ei2π)a = 1a = 1

How to resolve the apparent contradiction?

Homework Equations

eab = (ea)b
eix = cos x + i sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue! This is embarrassing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
There are multiple values for roots. None are wrong or contradictory. You are saying that ##1^a## is always and only 1. That is wrong. ##1^{0.5} = \pm 1##.

Likes scottdave
FactChecker said:
There are multiple values for roots. None are wrong or contradictory. You are saying that ##1^a## is always and only 1. That is wrong. ##1^{0.5} = \pm 1##.
According to wolfram alpha there are an infinire number of roots of 1, laying on the unit circle in the re - I am plane.
Thanks for triggering my curiosity. I think I opened a can of worms I'd rather not have.

Likes scottdave
FactChecker said:
Ignore all my posts except for the last one please.

There is also the fact that the Complex Exponential is infinite-valued ( periodic with period ##2\pi##, so we need to work with branches, and standard properties of Real exponential and roots do not always extend. Exponentiation is defined in terms of complex powers: ##z^{a}: = e^{alogz}##, with ## log ## being a branch ( local inverse) of the log. But, I think from the FT Algebra, there are only n roots for ##z^n =1 ##

OK:
1a = (ei2π)a = cos 2πa + i sin 2πa.
But the 2π can be n2π, n any integer. So there are an infinite number of roots of 1. The only real root would be for n=0.

rude man said:
OK:
1a = (ei2π)a= cos 2πa + i sin 2πa.
But the 2π can be n2π, n any integer. So there are an infinite number of roots of 1. The only real root would be for n=0.
Precisely : ##e^{i2\pi}=e^{i2k\pi}= cos(2\pi k)+iSin(2\pi k) ##.

Likes rude man
WWGD said:
There is also the fact that the Complex Exponential is infinite-valued ( periodic with period ##2\pi##, so we need to work with branches, and standard properties of Real exponential and roots do not always extend. Exponentiation is defined in terms of complex powers: ##z^{a}: = e^{alogz}##, with ## log ## being a branch ( local inverse) of the log. But, I think from the FT Algebra, there are only n roots for ##z^n =1 ##
Log of a complex number? Overload for this EE! :H

rude man said:
Log of a complex number? Overload for this EE! :H
EDIT: It is somewhat a way of describing a number in Polar coordinates. It is really not that counter intuitive. The log assigns to a Complex number z(the log of) its length plus ( one of its)its argument(s) . The argument(s) part is what makes it multivalued. For example :## log(i):=ln|i|+ i(\pi/2+ 2k \pi) ##; sort of giving all the possible ways of locating a point in the Complex plane: The number i is located at length 1 , with argument ##\pi/2 + k2\pi ##. Basically assigns to a Complex number its Polar forms with a ln scaling of the norm/length.

rude man said:
According to wolfram alpha there are an infinire number of roots of 1, laying on the unit circle in the re - I am plane.
Thanks for triggering my curiosity. I think I opened a can of worms I'd rather not have.
As a EE, you may be interested in how this allows study of feedback systems and which feedback frequencies would accumulate to unstable behavior.

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
As a EE, you may be interested in how this allows study of feedback systems and which feedback frequencies would accumulate to unstable behavior.
That I've dealt with! Nyquist stability criterion etc etc.

Likes FactChecker
rude man said:
That I've dealt with! Nyquist stability criterion etc etc.
This is at the heart of it.

FactChecker said:
By unstable you mean Chaotic, i.e., Attractor is Fractal?

WWGD said:
By unstable you mean Chaotic, i.e., Attractor is Fractal?
That is not what I had in mind. I meant simple feedback systems and Laplace transforms.

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
That is not what I had in mind. I meant simple feedback systems and Laplace transforms.
I am just using big words here, I don't have that good of an understanding of feedback loops, dynamical systems.

Likes FactChecker
WWGD said:
I am just using big words here, I don't have that good of an understanding of feedback loops, dynamical systems.
It's delightful mathematics.

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
It's delightful mathematics.
It does seem interesting. I have just an undergrad class in Chaos theory and a bit of reading here-and-there.

rude man said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum.>

1. Homework Statement

Given 0 < a < 1, i = √(-1),
ei2πa = cos 2πa + i sin 2πa
but also, ei2πa = (ei2π)a = 1a = 1

How to resolve the apparent contradiction?

Homework Equations

eab = (ea)b
eix = cos x + i sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue! This is embarrassing!

You are being fooled by notation. If you use the alternative notation "##\exp(z)##" instead of "##e^z##", you would not automatically assume that $$\exp(a b) = (\exp(a))^b$$
In fact, that equation would not be apparent at all, although it is true and provable if ##a## and ##b## are real or if ##a## is complex and ##b ## is an integer. You have demonstrated that it is sometimes false for complex ##a## and non-integer ##b##.

Sorry if this scares you even more but not even ##1^a=1## may hold. We have ##1^a=e^{alog1}## and the value of log1 will depend on the choice of branch of log. The branch just means a restriction of the exponential a many-valued function to a simple function. (e^a)^b=e^ab doe not always hold because you may skip or jump branches.

1. What is base e to an imaginary exponent?

Base e to an imaginary exponent refers to the mathematical expression eix, where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828 and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1. This expression is commonly used in complex analysis and has important applications in physics and engineering.

2. Why does raising e to an imaginary exponent seem contradictory?

At first glance, raising a number to an imaginary exponent may seem contradictory because it involves taking the square root of a negative number, which is not defined in the real number system. However, in the complex number system, imaginary exponents are well-defined and have important mathematical properties.

3. What is the value of e raised to an imaginary exponent?

The value of eix can be calculated using the Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where cos(x) and sin(x) are the real and imaginary parts of the expression, respectively. This means that the value of eix depends on the value of x, the exponent. For example, when x = π/2, eix = i, and when x = π, eix = -1.

4. What are the applications of base e to an imaginary exponent?

The expression eix has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of complex numbers, Fourier analysis, and differential equations. In physics, it is used to describe wave phenomena and in electrical engineering, it is used to analyze alternating current circuits.

5. How does e raised to an imaginary exponent relate to the unit circle?

Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), is closely related to the unit circle in the complex plane. The real part of the expression, cos(x), represents the x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle, while the imaginary part, sin(x), represents the y-coordinate. This makes eix a useful tool for visualizing and understanding the properties of the unit circle.