Baseball: Rising and Falling speed

In summary, the problem involves a baseball being thrown from the street and passing a window 28 m above the street with a vertical speed of 8 m/s. The initial speed is calculated using the Vf^2 formula as 22 m/s. The time it takes for the ball to pass the window is 1.4 seconds. The equations used are Vf = Vi + at, Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, d = Vi(t) + (.5)(a)(t)^2, and t = Vf/a or Vf-Vi/a. The remaining questions, b and d, require further information to solve.
Trizz

Homework Statement

A baseball is seen to pass upward by a window 28 m above the street with a vertical speed of 8 m/s. The ball was thrown from the street.

(a) What was its initial speed?
(b) What altitude does it reach?
(c) How long after it was thrown did it pass the window?
(d) After how many more seconds does it reach the street again?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + at
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
d = Vi(t) + (.5)(a)(t)^2
t = Vf/a or Vf-Vi/a

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've only attempted a and c because I don't know how to go aout solving b or d.

For a, I used the Vf^2 formula and changed it to equal Vi^2. So I had:

2(a)(d) - Vf^2 = Vi^2 and with that I got 2(9.8)(28) - (8)^2 = Vi^2 and got 22

I believe the problem may be with acceleration. Is it 9.8 when thrown uo, or only during free fall?

For c, I took the answer i got from a, Vi = 22, and plugged it into the time equation. I did 8 - 22 / 9.8 to get 1.4 seconds.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if my answers for a and c are correct. If someone could help me with b and d, I'd really appreciate it.

I would like to clarify that the acceleration due to gravity, represented by 'a' in the equations, remains constant at 9.8 m/s^2 throughout the motion of the baseball. This is because the force of gravity acts on the ball continuously, causing it to accelerate downward at a constant rate. Therefore, in the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, 'a' should always be 9.8 m/s^2.

Using this information, I would like to provide a response to the homework questions:

(a) To find the initial speed of the baseball, we can use the equation Vf = Vi + at. We know that the final speed (Vf) is 8 m/s, and the time (t) is 1.4 seconds (as calculated in part c). Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for Vi, which gives us an initial speed of 19.6 m/s.

(b) To calculate the altitude that the ball reaches, we can use the equation d = Vi(t) + (0.5)(a)(t)^2. We know that the initial speed (Vi) is 19.6 m/s and the time (t) is 1.4 seconds. Plugging these values into the equation, we get a maximum altitude of 19.6 meters.

(c) We can use the same equation as in part b to calculate the time it takes for the baseball to pass the window. We already know the initial speed (Vi) and the acceleration (a), so we can rearrange the equation to solve for time (t). This gives us a time of 1.4 seconds, which is the same as the time calculated in part c.

(d) To determine the time it takes for the ball to reach the street again, we can use the equation t = Vf/a. We know that the final speed (Vf) is 8 m/s and the acceleration (a) is 9.8 m/s^2. Plugging these values into the equation, we get a time of 0.82 seconds. Therefore, it takes a total of 1.4 + 0.82 = 2.22 seconds for the ball to reach the street again.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding and approach to solving the problem. Remember to always consider the constant acceleration due to gravity when

1. What factors contribute to the rising and falling speed of a baseball?

The primary factors that contribute to the rising and falling speed of a baseball are the initial velocity of the pitch, the air resistance, and the spin rate of the ball. The initial velocity and spin rate are determined by the pitcher's throwing mechanics, while the air resistance is affected by factors such as air density, humidity, and wind speed.

2. How does the air resistance affect the trajectory of a baseball?

The air resistance, also known as drag, can greatly impact the trajectory of a baseball. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences a force that opposes its motion, causing it to slow down and change direction. The amount of air resistance depends on the surface area of the ball, its velocity, and the density of the air. Higher air resistance can result in a slower and more unpredictable movement of the ball.

3. How does the spin rate affect the movement of a baseball?

The spin rate of a baseball can greatly influence its trajectory. When a ball is thrown with backspin, it creates an area of low pressure above the ball, causing it to rise. On the other hand, a ball with topspin will create an area of high pressure above the ball, causing it to drop. The direction of the spin, as well as the amount of spin, can also affect the lateral movement of the ball.

4. What is the average rising and falling speed of a major league pitcher?

The average rising and falling speed of a major league pitcher varies depending on various factors such as the type of pitch and the pitcher's throwing mechanics. However, on average, a fastball can have a rising speed of 5-10 inches and a falling speed of 12-15 inches. A breaking ball, such as a slider or curveball, can have a rising speed of 3-5 inches and a falling speed of 8-12 inches.

5. How does the rising and falling speed of a baseball affect a batter's ability to hit it?

The rising and falling speed of a baseball can greatly impact a batter's ability to hit it. A fastball with a high rising speed can be difficult for a batter to track and make contact with, while a slow curveball with a significant falling speed can be easier to hit. A batter's reaction time and visual perception also play a role in their ability to hit a pitch with varying rising and falling speeds.