1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic DC Circuits - Kirchoff's Rules Lab questions

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to come up with a formula to solve for i2 given the diagram of the circuit attached. I can identify 2 junctions and 3 loops.

2. Relevant equations
    *The algebraic sum of the currents into any junction is 0. By convention the currents entering the junction are positive and the currents leaving the junction are negative.
    *The algebraic sum of the potential differences in any loop must equal 0.

Junction B: i1-i2+i3=0 (Eq.1)
    Junction E: -i1+i2-i3=0 (Eq.2)
    Loop ABEF: ε1-i1R1-i2R2=0 (Eq.3)
    Loop BCDE: ε2-i3R3-i2R2=0 (Eq.4)
    Loop ACDF: ε1-i1R1+i3R32=0 (Eq.5)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is where I run into trouble. I am having difficulty using the above equations to find a formula for i2. I am not sure if the equations above have an error in them or if I am heading in the wrong direction. I need to get everything in terms of R1,R2,R3 and ε. In the experiment ε1 is a fixed power supply and ε2 is a variable power supply. I am assuming we can add and subtract them and get:
    ε1-1R1+i3R32=0 → -i1R1+i3R3=0
    But I cannot seem to work the equations well enough to get everything in terms of Rx, i2 and ε so like I said I think there is an error above. I am also not very comfortable working with systems of equations.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2
    Have you tried using Woflram Alpha (or similar programs) to solve them? That could help you to find out if you stated the problem correctly. I can help you if you don't know how to use it.

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3
    I have used Wolfram to solve some simple systems of equations involving x and y. I am not sure where to begin with something like this.

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted