Basic Dimensional Analysis Question

In summary, the SI units of K, the hydraulic conductivity of an aquifer, are [L/T], indicating a speed. The volume of water that moves through the aquifer is given by V/t=KA(H/L), where H is the vertical drop and L is the horizontal distance. The formula can be simplified to L^3t^-1=K*L^2, with H/L being dimensionless.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

Porous rock through which groundwater can move is called an aquifer. The volume V of water that, in time t, moves through a cross section of area A of the aquifer is given by:

V/t=KA(H/L)

where H is the vertical drop of the aquifer over the horizontal distance L. The quantity K is the hydraulic conductivity of the aquifer. What are the SI units of K

The Attempt at a Solution

So since this is supposed to be a dimensional analysis question, I figured that I'd start by figuring out what the dimensions of the problem are and I came up with:

[V/t]=[K^a][A^b][(H/L)^c] ===> L^3*t^-1=[K^a][L^2b][L^c-c]

Since there is a time dimension on the left side of the equation I'm guessing that K has a time component but I'm not really too sure how to approach the problem...Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you writing [A]=[L^2b]? Area is just plain length squared, right? [A]=L^2. I don't know why you are writing [K^a] either. There's just a K in the formula. And H/L is dimensionless.

Alright that clarifies some things for me...so then it would be L^3t^-1=K*L^2 (H/L is dimensionless because L/L is one right?) So for the dimensions to balance out K must be [L/T]? and that would be a speed right?

armolinasf said:
Alright that clarifies some things for me...so then it would be L^3t^-1=K*L^2 (H/L is dimensionless because L/L is one right?) So for the dimensions to balance out K must be [L/T]? and that would be a speed right?

Yes.

The SI units of K would be m/s. This can be determined by setting up the equation in terms of its base units:

[V/t] = [K] * [A] * [H/L]

L^3 * T^-1 = L^2 * T^-1 * [K]

L^3 * T^-1 / L^2 * T^-1 = [K]

K = L/T

Therefore, K has units of length per time, which in SI units is m/s. This makes sense because hydraulic conductivity is a measure of how easily water can flow through the aquifer, so it would have units of distance per time.

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used in science to convert units of measurement and check the consistency of equations. It involves using the dimensions (such as length, mass, time, etc.) of physical quantities to manipulate and compare them.

Why is dimensional analysis important?

Dimensional analysis is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of experimental data and equations. It also allows for easier conversion between units and can reveal relationships between different physical quantities.

How do you perform dimensional analysis?

To perform dimensional analysis, you must first identify the given and desired units of measurement. Then, using conversion factors or dimensional equations, you can manipulate the units to get to the desired unit. Finally, check the dimensions of the answer to ensure it is consistent with the given information.

What are the benefits of using dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis can help to reduce errors in calculations, provide a better understanding of physical relationships, and make it easier to convert between units. It is also a useful tool for checking the accuracy of equations and experimental data.

Can dimensional analysis be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used in all scientific fields. It is a fundamental concept in physics and chemistry, but it can also be applied in biology, engineering, and other sciences that involve measuring physical quantities.