Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation

In summary, the period of a simple pendulum, measured in time units, is given by the formula T = 2π ℓ/g, where ℓ is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is dimensionally consistent as both sides have the same dimensions of time. Dimensional analysis can be used to check this by using L, T, M as the variables instead of specific SI units.
khaledS

Homework Statement

The period of a simple pendulum, defined as the time necessary for one complete oscillation, is measured in time units and is given by
T = 2π
sqrt3a.gif
ℓ/g
where ℓ is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity, in units of length divided by time squared. Show that this equation is dimensionally consistent. (You might want to check the formula using your keys at the end of a string and a stopwatch.

Homework Equations

T=[t] possibly [S] because we are talking about a time period. l=L g=m/s^2 or [L/LT^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting dimensional analysis on this problem but I get lost after a certain point because of the square root and two paths of solving the problem. This is my work thus far and would like insight as to where I am going wrong or what steps I may have missed.
[S]= square root ([m]/[m/s^2] and the m's would cancel and were left with square root of 1/s^2 which becomes [S] so it's dimensionally correct because [S]=[S] and 2 pie is constant so it's irrelevant to the dimensional analysis. Or is not giving me the T=[S] in the problem which would then change it because [t]= square root [L/L/T^2] where L's cancel and are left with square root of 1/T^2 which becomes T so [t]=[t]. Am I doing this correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi khaledS.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

I would like to see a pair of parentheses ( ) incorporated into your formula for T, to remove an ambiguity.

When doing dimensional analysis, use L, T, M etc., not SI units like m, kg and sec. Dimensional analysis is independent of the units used. So your second method is OK, the first is not.
Or is not giving me the T=[S] in the problem which would then change it because [t]= square root [L/L/T^2] where L's cancel and are left with square root of 1/T^2 which becomes T so [t]=[t]. Am I doing this correctly?
You did that part wrong. You are left with sqrt (T^2) = T. But I think you have the right idea. Just don't cheat! :smile:

What is the Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation?

The Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of a pendulum, taking into account its length, mass, and gravitational acceleration. It is used to calculate the period of oscillation for a pendulum.

How is the Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation derived?

The Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation is derived using the principles of dimensional analysis, which is a method for analyzing the relationships between physical quantities. It involves breaking down a physical equation into its fundamental dimensions (such as length, mass, and time) and balancing them on both sides of the equation.

What are the variables in the Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation?

The variables in the Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation are the length of the pendulum (L), the mass of the pendulum (m), and the gravitational acceleration (g). These variables are used to calculate the period of the pendulum (T).

How is the Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation used in real-life applications?

The Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation has several real-life applications, including in timekeeping devices such as pendulum clocks and metronomes. It is also used in engineering to design and analyze pendulum-based systems, such as swing bridges and amusement park rides.

What are the limitations of the Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation?

The Dimensional Analysis Pendulum Equation assumes ideal conditions, such as a perfectly rigid and massless pendulum, and a constant gravitational acceleration. In reality, these conditions may not be met, which can affect the accuracy of the equation. Additionally, the equation does not take into account external forces, such as air resistance, which can also impact the motion of a pendulum.