Basic Kinematics Questions - What's wrong with my answers?

• Thread starter Rker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of acceleration, velocity, and speed in various scenarios. It is clarified that acceleration is a vector quantity and that displacement should be considered instead of total distance when determining speed. The difference between a field goal and a punt in American football is also explored, with the main goal of a punt being to give time for players to get down the field, while the goal of a field goal is to be accurate and get the ball over defenders quickly. The placement of the ball can also affect these variables.
Rker

Homework Statement

(b) Is it possible to be accelerating if you are traveling at constant speed? Explain your answer.

(d) Explain why, in American football, a field goal is kicked from the ground while a punt is drop kicked.

(f) Reaching out from a balcony, you throw rock A vertically upward. Then you throw rock B vertically downward from the same release point and with the same initial speed as rock A. If you neglect air resistance, which rock has the higher speed just before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

None, I believe.

The Attempt at a Solution

(b) No, traveling at constant speed is a straight diagonal line on a position graph. That means that there's no change in spped. No change in spped means no change in velocity (which is the slope of speed). With velocity then having a 0 slope, there is no acceleration (slope of velocity). -1

(d) This is done to change the angle of where the football is projected to go. Until 90 degrees, items are projected to go farther if the angle is higher. -2

(f) Throwing a rock downward vertically will cause its speed to be higher than if it was thrown upward. -1

I had points taken off for my answers, and I'm not sure why. Could someone explain to me what's wrong with my answers?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
b)Its possible.There are 2 types of acceleration.(acceleration is a vector quantity)
d)Sorry i don't know what a punt is.
f)Conservation of energy.(terminal velocity)

b) In a uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant but the velocity continuously changes the direction, hence has an acceleration towards the center.
f) A rock thrown up with a certain velocity, return back to the point of projection with the same velocity. So the initial velocities of both the rocks towards the ground is the same. Hence...?

Oh, okay. I think I understand (b) and (f) now.

Acceleration is a vector, which means direction must be considered.

And, both rocks will have the same speed before they hit the ground, right? Or, will the rock thrown upward have had more distance to have a higher acceleration (and speed)?

Here you heve to consider the displacement, not the total distance traveled.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Does anyone know why a field goal is kicked from the ground while a punt is drop kicked.

From personal experience, I know accuracy may have something else to do with it, but I have little clue how it relates to kinematics specifically.

Rker said:
That makes sense. Thanks.

Does anyone know why a field goal is kicked from the ground while a punt is drop kicked.

From personal experience, I know accuracy may have something else to do with it, but I have little clue how it relates to kinematics specifically.

The goal in a punt is to get the ball to hang to give time for the players to get down field.

The goal of the field-goal is to a.) be accurate and b.) get the ball over the defenders quickly.

How would ball placement (higher for punts lower for ground kicks) affect these variables?

1. Why am I getting different answers for the same kinematics problem using different equations?

The equations used to solve kinematics problems are based on specific scenarios and assumptions. If you use the wrong equation or make incorrect assumptions, you will get a different answer. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate equation for the given scenario and accurately input all relevant variables.

2. What should I do if my calculated answer for a kinematics problem is negative?

A negative answer for a kinematics problem usually indicates that the motion is in the opposite direction of the assumed positive direction. You can either change the direction of the motion or change the sign of the answer to make it positive.

3. Can I use kinematics equations for non-uniform motion?

No, kinematics equations are only applicable for uniform motion, where the acceleration is constant. For non-uniform motion, you will need to use calculus and integrate the acceleration to find the velocity and position at a given time.

4. How do I know if my kinematics solution is correct?

You can check the validity of your solution by using the kinematics equations to solve for different variables and comparing the results. If the values match, then your solution is likely correct. You can also use common sense and check if the solution makes sense in the given scenario.

5. Can I use kinematics equations for motion in three dimensions?

Yes, kinematics equations can be applied for motion in three dimensions by breaking down the motion into its components along each axis. This allows you to solve for the motion in each direction separately and then combine the results to get the overall motion in three dimensions.