Basic Limit Involving x-xcosx and sin^2(3x)

• Thread starter skam74
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
So why are you multiplying by csc?In summary, two different methods were used to solve for the limit of x-xcosx/sin^2(3x). The first method involved using the trigonometric identity sin^2x = (1-cos2x)/2 and simplifying the expression to eventually get the result of 0. The second method involved rewriting the expression as 2x*[sin(x/2)/sin(3x)]^2 and evaluating the limit to get the result of 0.
skam74
My answer is correct, but I feel like I might've taken an illegitimate route to get there. Can anyone verify? Many thanks in advance.

Homework Statement

[tex]\underset{x\rightarrow0}{\lim}\frac{x-xcosx}{sin^{2}3x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\sin ^{2}x = \frac{1-\cos 2x}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x}{\frac{y}{z}}=x\cdot \frac{z}{y}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]=\underset{x\rightarrow0}{\lim}\frac{(x-x)cosx}{(\cfrac{1-cos(6x)}{2})}[/tex]
[tex]=\underset{x\rightarrow0}{\lim}\frac{(x-x)cosx}{1}\cdot\frac{2}{1-cos(6x)}[/tex]
[tex]=\underset{x\rightarrow0}{\lim}2((x-x)cosx)\cdot(1-cos(6x))[/tex]
[tex]=2((0)cos0)\cdot(1-cos0)[/tex]
[tex]=2(0\cdot1)\cdot(1-1)[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
skam74 said:
My answer is correct, but I feel like I might've taken an illegitimate route to get there. Can anyone verify? Many thanks in advance.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]\sin ^{2}x = \frac{1-\cos 2x}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x}{\frac{y}{z}}=x\cdot \frac{z}{y}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]=\underset{x\rightarrow0}{\lim}\frac{(x-x)cosx}{(\cfrac{1-cos(6x)}{2})}[/tex]
[tex]=\underset{x\rightarrow0}{\lim}\frac{(x-x)cosx}{1}\cdot\frac{2}{1-cos(6x)}[/tex]
[tex]=\underset{x\rightarrow0}{\lim}2((x-x)cosx)\cdot(1-cos(6x))[/tex]
[tex]=2((0)cos0)\cdot(1-cos0)[/tex]
[tex]=2(0\cdot1)\cdot(1-1)[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

The second line of (3) is wrong: you cannot write x - x*cos(x) as (x-x)*cos(x). However, you can write it as x*2*sin(x/2)^2, so your function is 2*x*[sin(x/2)/sin(3x)]^2.

RGV

Never mind I see it now:

sin^2(3x) = sin^2(2x + x) = [cos(2x)sin(x) + sin(2x)cos(x)]^2

which ends up giving 0/4 = 0

Just for fun I solved it using your idea as well:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{x-xcosx}{sin^{2}3x}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{x(1-cosx)}{sin^23x}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{x(2sin^2(\frac{x}{2}))}{sin^23x}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{xsinx}{\frac{2}{sin^23x}}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{xsinx}{2}\cdot \frac{1}{sin^23x}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{xsinx\cdot csc3x}{2}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{0}{2}[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

Your last attempt has numerous errors in it, and I don't see how what you wrote in post #3 helps in evaluating the limit.

vela said:
Your last attempt has numerous errors in it, and I don't see how what you wrote in post #3 helps in evaluating the limit.

Oops. Can you point me towards my errors in my last attempt?

Going from the third to fourth lines, fifth to sixth lines. Finally, when evaluating the limit at the end, you seemed to pull a 0 out of nowhere. Cosecant diverges as x goes to 0, so you have an indeterminate form.

What is a basic limit?

A basic limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

What is x-xcosx?

x-xcosx is a trigonometric function that represents the difference between x and the cosine of x. It is commonly used in calculus to calculate the slope of a curve at a specific point.

What is sin^2(3x)?

sin^2(3x) is a trigonometric function that represents the square of the sine of 3x. It is commonly used in calculus to calculate the area under a curve.

How do I calculate a limit involving x-xcosx and sin^2(3x)?

To calculate a limit involving x-xcosx and sin^2(3x), you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. Then, you can use limit laws and substitution to evaluate the limit.

What are some real-world applications of limits involving x-xcosx and sin^2(3x)?

Limits involving x-xcosx and sin^2(3x) can be used in various real-world applications, such as determining the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the speed and acceleration of an object in motion, and analyzing the behavior of electric circuits.