Basic log question, completely lost

• Thread starter Chadlee88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log Lost
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about proving the equivalence of two equations: y = a(1+b)^t and ln y = a+bt. The conversation includes a mistake in the equation and the attempt at solving it, which is clarified by the other person. The correct steps for solving the problem are given.
Chadlee88
Basic log question, completely lost! :(

Homework Statement

Prove that y = a(1+b)^t is equivalent to ln y = a+bt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm really confused with how they could possibly be equal.

y = a(1+b)^t
t = ln y/ln a(1+b)
ln y = t x ln (a+b)
ln y = ln (a+b)^t

Could someone please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course they are not equivalent for all values of t. Are you sure you have the question right?

And, BTW, steps 3 and 4 of your attempt doesn't seem right, although it doesn't matter now.

ohh sorry, i made a mistake.

This is the original question:

prove that yt = y0(1+r)^t is equivalent to ln yt = y0 + rt

i just made y0 = a and r = b previously

My Attempt:
yt = y0(1+r)^t
t = ln yt/ln y0(1+r)

you said i was wrong previous, where do i go from this step then?? Tanx a heap 4 helping.

Chadlee88 said:
ohh sorry, i made a mistake.

This is the original question:

prove that yt = y0(1+r)^t is equivalent to ln yt = y0 + rt

i just made y0 = a and r = b previously

My Attempt:
yt = y0(1+r)^t
t = ln yt/ln y0(1+r)

you said i was wrong previous, where do i go from this step then?? Tanx a heap 4 helping.

First thing you should do is go back and look at the problem again! What you have stated still is not true. From yt= yo(1+r)^t the best you can say, by taking ln of both sides, is ln(yt)= ln(y0)+ t ln(1+r). In general that is NOT the same as "ln yt= y0+ rt".

(You can say that "to first order" (ignoring higher powers of t) yt (NOT ln(yt)) is approximately equal to y0+ rt.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a basic log question?

A basic log question refers to a question that asks for the logarithm of a number, or the exponent to which a base must be raised to get that number. It is a common type of question in mathematics and can be solved using logarithmic functions.

What does "completely lost" mean in the context of a log question?

In the context of a log question, "completely lost" typically means that the person asking the question does not understand how to solve or approach the problem. They may feel confused or overwhelmed by the concept of logarithms and need further explanation or guidance.

Why are log questions important?

Log questions are important because they are widely used in many disciplines, including mathematics, science, engineering, and finance. They help us understand and manipulate large numbers, and they have practical applications in solving exponential equations and modeling real-world situations.

How can I improve my understanding of log questions?

The best way to improve your understanding of log questions is to practice solving them. You can also read up on the basic principles of logarithms and their properties, as well as watch tutorial videos or attend a class or workshop on the topic. Asking for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate can also be beneficial.

What are some common mistakes people make when solving log questions?

Some common mistakes people make when solving log questions include forgetting to use the correct base, mixing up the order of operations, and misinterpreting the problem. It is important to double-check your work and make sure you understand the problem before attempting to solve it.