Basic mechanical components in modern machines

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic mechanical components in modern machines, particularly in relation to automobiles, aircrafts, and missiles. The speaker expresses their goal of becoming familiar with these components in order to understand the function of different parts when opening up a machine. They also mention that the components vary depending on the specific machine, and suggest researching the components of the desired machine for a better understanding.
hihiip201
Hi guys

I would like to know, what are the basic mechanical components in modern machines?

I am not referring to bolts, fasteners or gears, I'm more asking in a level of differentials in automobiles, power shaft, so on so forth.

because I am sure automobiles,aircrafts, missiles, they all have these basic mechanical components that drives them and allow them to operate in different environment, my goal is to become familiar with all these components, so I will be able to see the function of different parts when I open up a machine.

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's highly dependent on the machine you're looking at. Sure, some components are common like power shafts, but an internal combustion engine is way different than a jet engine, which is also different than a rocket (missile), so even that doesn't help. I would look up the components of the machine you want to open up and get an understanding from that.

timthereaper said:
It's highly dependent on the machine you're looking at. Sure, some components are common like power shafts, but an internal combustion engine is way different than a jet engine, which is also different than a rocket (missile), so even that doesn't help. I would look up the components of the machine you want to open up and get an understanding from that.

I see, thank you for your help!

1. What are some examples of basic mechanical components in modern machines?

Some examples of basic mechanical components in modern machines include gears, pulleys, levers, screws, and springs.

2. How do gears work in a machine?

Gears are toothed wheels that mesh together to transmit rotational motion and torque from one part of a machine to another. They can increase or decrease speed, change direction of rotation, and transfer power between axles.

3. What is the purpose of a pulley in a machine?

Pulleys are used in machines to change the direction of a force and to increase or decrease mechanical advantage. They consist of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or belt that runs along the groove.

4. What is the function of a lever in a machine?

A lever is a simple machine consisting of a rigid bar or plank that is free to pivot around a fixed point called the fulcrum. Levers are used to lift or move heavy loads with less effort, or to increase the distance and speed of movement.

5. How do screws contribute to the functioning of a machine?

Screws are inclined planes wrapped around a cylindrical shaft, and they are used to hold objects together or to convert rotational motion into linear motion. They can also be used to increase or decrease force and to adjust the position or tension of parts in a machine.