1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic numeracy - exact meaning of accurate to one part in a thousand

1. Aug 31, 2013 #1
    Basic numeracy - exact meaning of "accurate to one part in a thousand"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a standard Coulomb model for the ground-state energy of a hydrogen atom. I have used peturbation theory to calculate a (fictitious) first order correction to the model, which contains a constant a.
    I now have to find the largest value of a which will be consistent with the fact that the Coulomb model is accurate to one part in a thousand.
    It's a basic numeracy problem, despite being a complicated topic. Does accurate to one part in a thousand mean that the correction shouldn't contribute more than +/- 0.001 J to the energy calculated using the Coulomb model, or does it mean it shouldn't add more than +/- 0.00049999 J?
    A bit basic, I know, but I don't want to fail at this final hurdle.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

##E = E_c + \delta E##

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why "-.00049999"? Why exactly 4 "9"s? "Accurate to one part in a thousand" means within [itex]\pm 0.0005[/tex].

4. Aug 31, 2013 #3
    Well, perhaps that was a bit sloppy. My point was that shouldn't it be ##\delta E < 0.0005## (instead of ##\delta E \leq 0.0005##) because if the correction was actually 0.0005 then it could be rounded up to 0.001, thereby altering the one part in a thousand?
    I don't know if I've explained my dilemma properly there...

5. Aug 31, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

One part in a thousand means ##|\delta E/E_c|## needs to be less than 1/1000.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted