Basic physics understanding. Could someone explain?

In summary, according to this summary, you should start with elementary calculus before delving into more difficult physics topics.
Ultermarto1
I'm trying to get a grip on some classic physics by watching a Stanford lecture. I've made it through the first one, and now in the second one all the professor ever talks about is 'derivatives' without actually explaining what they are. I guess the Stanford population would be assured with some previous math knowledge.

So anyway, apparently we can work out velocity from position with v = dx / dt, that's velocity equals position over time. Makes sense. We can further work out acceleration with dv / dt, velocity over time. Now why on Earth are there these d's in front of the variables? What exactly is meant by the word 'derivative', and what is a vector? If these questions are too naggy, and I should perhaps be looking at some basic maths before I look at classic physics, could anyone recommend some good starting points (wikipedia is useless for this sort of thing).

Physics news on Phys.org
Master your school math so that you are ready for these more advanced topics when you get to them. This is Calculus and it relies on most of the math you are learning now. If you think you are ready, then I recommend MIT's 18.01SC course, it is free and does a good job, I think.

I won't say more because there are many threads on these forums that can help.

You need to get acquainted with elementary calculus (dx/dt is the derivative of distance with respect to time).
A vector is a quantity which has both magnitude and direction, for example velocity has a speed (how fast) and a direction.

Hello Ultermarto1,

The Stanford professor whose class you've watched is using a basic Calculus tool. A derivative of a function like the position [itex]x(t)[/itex] is defined as the following limit:

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\mathrm{lim}_{t→t_{o}}\frac{x(t) - x(t_{o})}{t - t_{o}}[/itex]

And this happens to be exactly the definition of the instantaneous velocity, [itex]v(t)[/itex] of the particle which follows the trajectory given by [itex]x(t)[/itex]. So

[itex]v(t) = \frac{dx}{dt}(t)[/itex]

Notice that this is different com the mean velocity, given by

[itex]\bar{v} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} ≠ \frac{dx}{dt}(t)[/itex]

In fact, if you substitute the last two equations above on the definition of Derivative I wrote in the beginning of this post, you will notice that the instantaneous velocity [itex]v(t)[/itex] is precisely the limit of the mean velocity, [itex]\bar{v}[/itex] when the interval of time under consideration is taken to zero:

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}= v(t) = \mathrm{lim}_{\Delta t→ 0}\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/itex]

This is basic Calculus! I would tell you to look for a nice book for starters on this subject and learn it before you go deeper into more complicated physics. ;)

Zag

verty said:
Master your school math so that you are ready for these more advanced topics when you get to them. This is Calculus and it relies on most of the math you are learning now. If you think you are ready, then I recommend MIT's 18.01SC course, it is free and does a good job, I think.

I won't say more because there are many threads on these forums that can help.
I'm afraid I'm in college, and not studying any maths at this point. I'll be sure to make a start on calculus, though, if it'll help.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. What are the basic concepts in physics?

Some of the basic concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, and matter. Other important concepts include time, space, gravity, and electromagnetism.

3. What are the different branches of physics?

There are several branches of physics, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other branches include astrophysics, biophysics, and nuclear physics.

4. How is physics used in everyday life?

Physics has practical applications in many aspects of daily life. It helps us understand how objects move, the properties of different materials, and how technology works. Many modern inventions, such as computers and smartphones, rely on principles of physics.

5. What skills are important for understanding basic physics?

To understand basic physics, it is important to have a good grasp of mathematical concepts, critical thinking skills, and the ability to analyze and solve problems. A curious and inquisitive mind is also valuable in understanding the world through a scientific lens.