Basic QM - Trying to catch up in a class

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Qm
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the wave function of an electron in a one-dimensional infinite square well, specifically at time t=0. The wave function is given by a combination of the ground state and first excited state, with specific equations and values for the energy. The question is posed to write down the wavefunction at time t in terms of the two states, and provide possible values of the energy and their corresponding probabilities. The conversation also includes a calculation for the expectation value of the energy in the given state.
FrogPad
I haven't taken one of the recommended courses for a class I am in, so I'm playing a little catch-up here.

Q: The wave function of an electron in a one-dimensional infinite square well of width a,x -> (0,a) at time t=0 is given by:

[tex] \psi (x,0) \sqrt{\frac{2}{7}}\psi_1(x) + \sqrt{\frac{5}{7}}\psi_2(x) [/tex]

where [tex] \psi_1(x) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_2(x) [/tex] are the ground and first excited stationary state of the system respectively, [tex] \psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin (n\pix/a), \,\,\, E_n = n^2\pi^2 \bar h^2/(2ma^2), \,], n=1,2,... [/tex]

a) Write down the wavefunction at time t in terms of [tex] \psi_1(x) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_2(x) [/tex].

b) You measure the energy of an electron at time t=0. Write down possible values of the energy and the probability of measuring each.

c) Calculate the expectation value of hte enrgy in the state [tex] \psi(x,t) [/tex] above.

----
I am lost here. I am stuck on (a) right now, and really do not know where to go. To me it looks like [tex] \psi_n(x) [/tex] is the wavefunction already solved from the schrodinger equation (with the boundary conditions 0 and a). So I need to express the total wavefunction in terms of two states psi_1, and psi_2. This to me seems like another condition that would come from a differential equation something with a time dependence. I am lost...

Would someone nudge me in a proper direction?

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint for 1. [tex]\psi (t)=U(t)\psi=e^{\frac{1}{i\hbar}tH} \psi [/tex]

Daniel.

I understand that catching up in a class can be challenging, especially when it involves complex concepts like quantum mechanics. Let me try to provide some guidance on the problem you presented.

Firstly, you are correct in your understanding that the wave function given in the problem is a linear combination of the ground state and first excited state of the system. This means that the total wave function can be expressed as a sum of these two individual wave functions.

To solve part (a) of the problem, you simply need to write out the wave function at time t, which is given by \psi(x,t) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{7}}\psi_1(x) e^{-iE_1t/\hbar} + \sqrt{\frac{5}{7}}\psi_2(x) e^{-iE_2t/\hbar}. This is obtained by using the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, which incorporates the time dependence of the wave function.

For part (b), you are asked to write down the possible values of energy and their corresponding probabilities at time t=0. Using the wave function given in the problem, you can calculate the energy by taking the inner product of the wave function with the energy operator. This will give you two possible values of energy, corresponding to the two states in the wave function.

As for part (c), you are asked to calculate the expectation value of the energy in the state \psi(x,t) . This can be done by taking the inner product of the wave function with the energy operator, and then dividing by the norm of the wave function squared.

I hope this helps you in your understanding of the problem. Remember, don't hesitate to seek help from your instructor or classmates if you are still struggling. Good luck!

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how particles interact with each other and their environment, and has been successful in explaining many phenomena, such as the behavior of electrons in atoms and the properties of light.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the physical world at a microscopic level. It has led to technological advancements such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, and has also helped to develop new fields of study such as quantum computing and quantum information theory.

3. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while classical mechanics describes the behavior of larger objects. Additionally, classical mechanics follows deterministic principles, while quantum mechanics incorporates probability and uncertainty into its equations.

4. What are some key concepts in quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in quantum mechanics include superposition, entanglement, and wave-particle duality. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously, while entanglement describes the correlation between particles that can persist even when they are separated by large distances. Wave-particle duality is the idea that particles can behave as both waves and particles depending on how they are observed.

5. How can I catch up in a quantum mechanics class?

To catch up in a quantum mechanics class, it is important to review the material covered in previous lectures and make sure you have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources, such as textbooks, online lectures, or tutoring, to supplement your learning. Practice problems and self-assessment can also aid in understanding the material and identifying areas that need more focus.