Harmonic oscillator - chance of of finding particle x>0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 2K views
renec112
Messages
35
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


A particle is moving in a 1-dimensional harmonic osciallator with the hamiltion:
## H = \hbar \omega (a_+ a_- + \frac{1}{2})##
at time ## t=0## the normalized wave function is given by
## \Psi(x,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0(x) + i\psi_1(x)) ##
Task: Calculate for ## t \geq 0 ## the chance to meassure ## x \geq 0##

2. Homework Equations

Well i think these equations are relevant. This is what i intend to use at least.
Chance of finding particle greater than 0:
##P(x\geq0) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \Psi^* \Psi dx##
Time dependent term for n'th psi:
## e^{-iE_n t / \hbar} ##
The n'th psi can be written (Harmonic oscialtor):
## \psi_n(x) = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2^n n!} } H_n(\xi) e^{-\xi^2 /2}##
where ##H_n## are hermite polynomials, and ##\xi = \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\hbar}}x## .

The Attempt at a Solution


Since it has to be for all times, i'll use the time dependent term and insert that on all the ##\psi##'s.
Then, i'll just insert my values and integrate. However, i can't loose some energy parts... Let me show you (I'm not writing all constants in ##e## from the time dependent term):

##P(x\geq0) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \Psi^* \Psi dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0e^{iE_0} - i\psi_1e^{iE_1})\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0e^{-iE_0} + i\psi_1e^{-iE_1}) dx##
## = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}(\psi_0^2 + \psi_1^2 + i\psi_1\psi_0(e^{iE_0}e^{-E_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0})) dx##
This is very i am stuck. I can't get rid of these annyoing time dependent terms. But if i could, i would try to insert the expression for ##\psi_n## given above, and try to integrate.

Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
renec112 said:
##P(x\geq0) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \Psi^* \Psi dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0e^{iE_0} - i\psi_1e^{iE_1})\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0e^{-iE_0} + i\psi_1e^{-iE_1}) dx##
## = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}(\psi_0^2 + \psi_1^2 + i\psi_1\psi_0(e^{iE_0}e^{-E_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0})) dx##
This is very i am stuck. I can't get rid of these annyoing time dependent terms.
For convenience, I guess you left out ##t## and ##\hbar## in the exponentials. Note that ## i(e^{iE_0}e^{-iE_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0}) ## can be written in a nice way in terms of a trig function.

Your integral contains three terms. Integrate each term separately. The time dependent part of the 3rd term can be factored outside the integral since it doesn't depend on ##x##.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: renec112
TSny said:
For convenience, I guess you left out ##t## and ##\hbar## in the exponentials. Note that ## i(e^{iE_0}e^{-iE_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0}) ## can be written in a nice way in terms of a trig function.

Your integral contains three terms. Integrate each term separately. The time dependent part of the 3rd term can be factored outside the integral since it doesn't depend on ##x##.
Thank you. Do you think i'ts the right approach? the calculations are getting a bit heavy for me..
 
Yes, right approach. The integrals from 0 to ∞ of ψ02 and ψ12 should not require any actual integrating if you think about it. The integral of ψ0ψ1 is easy to perform.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: renec112
renec112 said:
Any suggestions?

I'd make a general suggestion, based on this and your post yesterday. I find it easier with these problems to generalise things - I find the structure of the algebra easier to see. Also, I find I learn the general algebraic patterns and can remember them better.

In this case, we have a wave function that is:

##\Psi(x, t) = \alpha \psi_0(x) \exp(-iE_0t/\hbar) + \beta \psi_1(x) \exp(-iE_1t/\hbar)##

Now, if you calculate ##\Psi \Psi^*##, you should get:

##\Psi \Psi^* = |\alpha|^2\psi_0^2 + |\beta|^2\psi_1^2 + 2Re[\alpha \beta^* \exp(i(E_1 - E_0)t/\hbar] \psi_0 \psi_1 ##

This construction is the same whatever you are calculating and, as yesterday, is not specific to the Harmonic Oscillator. Then you substitute the specific wave functions and specific integrals.

I think it would pay dividends to work through that general calculation and try to remember that as a general algebraic approach.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: renec112 and TSny
I really appreciate both of you taking the time to help me out.

PeroK said:
I'd make a general suggestion, based on this and your post yesterday. I find it easier with these problems to generalise things - I find the structure of the algebra easier to see. Also, I find I learn the general algebraic patterns and can remember them better.
I think it would pay dividends to work through that general calculation and try to remember that as a general algebraic approach.

I like that approach, i will try it. Looks cleaner and i see your point.I'm trying to solve the problem using your tips, but I'm not quite there yet, i think i have two problems. First:
TSny said:
The integrals from 0 to ∞ of ψ02 and ψ12 should not require any actual integrating if you think about it.
i'm not sure why ##\psi_0^2## and ##\psi_1^2## are easy. is it because they are orthonormal?

and my other problem:
TSny said:
Note that ## i(e^{iE_0}e^{-iE_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0}) ## can be written in a nice way in terms of a trig function
did you wan't me to find ##2Re[\alpha \beta^* \exp(i(E_1 - E_0)t/\hbar] \psi_0 \psi_1 ## just like PeroK? I'm not sure how he got there.. I tried expanding using ##e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i \sin(x)## and ##\sin(x) = (e^{ix}-e^{-ix}) / 2i## but without luck.

I managed to do the integral of ##\psi_1 \psi_0 ##, which i think is correct. Here it is
Using Hermite polynomials i can rewrite;
##\psi_0 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-\xi^2/2}##
##\psi_1 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} 2 \xi e^{-\xi^2/2}##
combine them in the integral:
##\int_{0}^{\infty} \psi_0 \psi_1 \ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-\xi^2/2} e^{-\xi^2/2} 2 \xi \ dx##
##= \int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{2/4} \frac{1}{2} 2 e^{-\xi^2} \xi dx##
simplify further, insert ##\xi##, and pull constant out of integral
##= \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar}} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\xi^2} \xi dx##
##= \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar}} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x^2} \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} x dx##
##=\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x^2} x dx##

i can solve that integral by using
## \int_{0}^{\infty} x^{2n+1} e^{-x^2/a^2} dx = \frac{n!}{2}a^{2n+2}##
with ##n = 0## and ## a=-\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m \omega}}##

That gives me
##=\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x^2} x dx =\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hbar}{m \omega} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}##

I hope that's correct. Then it's only the two last thing I'm missing for the task. Again, thank you so much for helping me.
 
Last edited:
renec112 said:
##=\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x^2} x dx =\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hbar}{m \omega} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}##

I hope that's correct. Then it's only the two last thing I'm missing for the task. Again, thank you so much for helping me.

I got ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}##

But, I did it with different variables, so it's hard to see where our solutions diverge.

You've got all the ideas, it's just the complexity of the integrals.
 
renec112 said:
##\psi_0 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-\xi^2/2}##

That ##\sqrt2## shouldn't be there. Which explains it.
 
PeroK said:
That ##\sqrt2## shouldn't be there. Which explains it.
Oh yes, i see. off course.

Do i have the right idea about how ti simplify the time dependent term?

I see i don't have to do the ##\psi_n^2## term, because of course:
##\langle \psi_n | \psi_n \rangle = \int_\infty^\infty \psi_n * \psi_n dx = 1##
## \Rightarrow \int_0^\infty \psi_n * \psi_n dx = 1/2##
 
renec112 said:
Oh yes, i see. off course.

Do i have the right idea about how ti simplify the time dependent term?

I see i don't have to do the ##\psi_n^2## term, because of course:
##\langle \psi_n | \psi_n \rangle = \int_\infty^\infty \psi_n * \psi_n dx = 1##
## \Rightarrow \int_0^\infty \psi_n * \psi_n dx = 1/2##

Yes, you can get that by symmetry.

I don't see the problem with taking the real part of a complex exponential? You just have to be careful with the complex coefficient in there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: renec112
PeroK said:
Yes, you can get that by symmetry.

I don't see the problem with taking the real part of a complex exponential? You just have to be careful with the complex coefficient in there.
I'm just wondering how you did it - how to simplify ## i(e^{i \alpha}e^{- \beta}-e^{i \beta}e^{-i \alpha}) ##
 
renec112 said:
I'm just wondering how you did it - how to simplify ## i(e^{i \alpha}e^{- \beta}-e^{i \beta}e^{-i \alpha}) ##
I'm on my phone, which can't cope with complex algebra. You need to combine the exponential products first. Then you could just write everything out: ##exp = cos + isin##.

Better is to note that the second term is the conjugate of the first.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: renec112
PeroK said:
I'm on my phone, which can't cope with complex algebra. You need to combine the exponential products first. Then you could just write everything out: ##exp = cos + isin##.

Better is to note that the second term is the conjugate of the first.
Thanks for helping me on the go!

This is what i have tried. It's not the same but it looks reasonablei think. I went a bit crazy.
## i(e^{i \alpha}e^{-i \beta} - e^{i \beta}e^{- i \alpha}) ##
Drop the ##i## for now.
## e^{i \alpha}e^{-i \beta} - e^{i \beta}e^{- i \alpha} = e^{i (\alpha-\beta)} - e^{i (\beta - \alpha)} ##
expand using euler.
## \cos(\alpha-\beta) + i \sin(\alpha-\beta) - \cos(\beta - \alpha) - \sin(\beta - \alpha) = \cos(\alpha-\beta) + i \sin(\alpha-\beta) - \cos(-1(\alpha-\beta)) - \sin(-1(\alpha- \beta)) ##
I can clean up, because:
## \sin(-A) = -\sin(A)##, and ##\cos(-A) = \cos(A)##
giving me:
## \cos(\alpha-\beta) + i \sin(\alpha-\beta) - \cos(\alpha-\beta) + \sin(\alpha- \beta) = 2i \sin(\alpha-\beta) = -2i \sin(\beta-\alpha) ##
Using the ##i## i saved later gives:
##2\sin(\beta-\alpha) = 2 \sin(\frac{t}{\hbar}(E_1 - E_0))##
I know the energies for a harmonic oscialtor (##E_n = (n + 1/2) \hbar \omega##).
##2\sin(\beta-\alpha) = 2 \sin(\frac{t}{\hbar}(\frac{3}{2} \hbar \omega - \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega)) = 2 \sin(t \omega) ##

Giving me the final change for finding the particle ## x \geq 0##:
##1/2 (1/2 + 1/2 + 2 \sin(t \omega)) = 1/2 + 2 \sin(t \omega)##

I think it's ok since ## t \omega## is dimensionless..
 
You forgot the term that came from integrating ##\psi_0\psi_1##.

Otherwise, I think that's right.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: renec112
PeroK said:
You forgot the term that came from integrating ##\psi_0\psi_1##.

Otherwise, I think that's right.
Ah yes i did.. Thanks for the help PeroK. :)