Harmonic oscillator - chance of of finding particle x>0

In summary: Now I'm just stuck at:##|\alpha|^2\psi_0^2 + |\beta|^2\psi_1^2 + 2Re[\alpha \beta^* \exp(i(E_1 - E_0)t/\hbar] \psi_0 \psi_1##How do i get rid of the time dependent term in the last integral? I need to integrate from 0 to ∞.In summary, a particle moving in a 1-dimensional harmonic oscillator with the Hamiltonian H = hbar * omega (a+ * a- + 1/2) has a normalized wave function given by Psi(x,0) = (1/sqrt(2)) * (psi_0
renec112

Homework Statement

A particle is moving in a 1-dimensional harmonic osciallator with the hamiltion:
## H = \hbar \omega (a_+ a_- + \frac{1}{2})##
at time ## t=0## the normalized wave function is given by
## \Psi(x,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0(x) + i\psi_1(x)) ##
Task: Calculate for ## t \geq 0 ## the chance to meassure ## x \geq 0##

2. Homework Equations

Well i think these equations are relevant. This is what i intend to use at least.
Chance of finding particle greater than 0:
##P(x\geq0) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \Psi^* \Psi dx##
Time dependent term for n'th psi:
## e^{-iE_n t / \hbar} ##
The n'th psi can be written (Harmonic oscialtor):
## \psi_n(x) = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2^n n!} } H_n(\xi) e^{-\xi^2 /2}##
where ##H_n## are hermite polynomials, and ##\xi = \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\hbar}}x## .

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it has to be for all times, i'll use the time dependent term and insert that on all the ##\psi##'s.
Then, i'll just insert my values and integrate. However, i can't loose some energy parts... Let me show you (I'm not writing all constants in ##e## from the time dependent term):

##P(x\geq0) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \Psi^* \Psi dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0e^{iE_0} - i\psi_1e^{iE_1})\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0e^{-iE_0} + i\psi_1e^{-iE_1}) dx##
## = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}(\psi_0^2 + \psi_1^2 + i\psi_1\psi_0(e^{iE_0}e^{-E_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0})) dx##
This is very i am stuck. I can't get rid of these annyoing time dependent terms. But if i could, i would try to insert the expression for ##\psi_n## given above, and try to integrate.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
renec112 said:
##P(x\geq0) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \Psi^* \Psi dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0e^{iE_0} - i\psi_1e^{iE_1})\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_0e^{-iE_0} + i\psi_1e^{-iE_1}) dx##
## = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}(\psi_0^2 + \psi_1^2 + i\psi_1\psi_0(e^{iE_0}e^{-E_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0})) dx##
This is very i am stuck. I can't get rid of these annyoing time dependent terms.
For convenience, I guess you left out ##t## and ##\hbar## in the exponentials. Note that ## i(e^{iE_0}e^{-iE_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0}) ## can be written in a nice way in terms of a trig function.

Your integral contains three terms. Integrate each term separately. The time dependent part of the 3rd term can be factored outside the integral since it doesn't depend on ##x##.

Last edited:
Likes renec112
TSny said:
For convenience, I guess you left out ##t## and ##\hbar## in the exponentials. Note that ## i(e^{iE_0}e^{-iE_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0}) ## can be written in a nice way in terms of a trig function.

Your integral contains three terms. Integrate each term separately. The time dependent part of the 3rd term can be factored outside the integral since it doesn't depend on ##x##.
Thank you. Do you think i'ts the right approach? the calculations are getting a bit heavy for me..

Yes, right approach. The integrals from 0 to ∞ of ψ02 and ψ12 should not require any actual integrating if you think about it. The integral of ψ0ψ1 is easy to perform.

Likes renec112
renec112 said:
Any suggestions?

I'd make a general suggestion, based on this and your post yesterday. I find it easier with these problems to generalise things - I find the structure of the algebra easier to see. Also, I find I learn the general algebraic patterns and can remember them better.

In this case, we have a wave function that is:

##\Psi(x, t) = \alpha \psi_0(x) \exp(-iE_0t/\hbar) + \beta \psi_1(x) \exp(-iE_1t/\hbar)##

Now, if you calculate ##\Psi \Psi^*##, you should get:

##\Psi \Psi^* = |\alpha|^2\psi_0^2 + |\beta|^2\psi_1^2 + 2Re[\alpha \beta^* \exp(i(E_1 - E_0)t/\hbar] \psi_0 \psi_1 ##

This construction is the same whatever you are calculating and, as yesterday, is not specific to the Harmonic Oscillator. Then you substitute the specific wave functions and specific integrals.

I think it would pay dividends to work through that general calculation and try to remember that as a general algebraic approach.

Last edited:
Likes renec112 and TSny
I really appreciate both of you taking the time to help me out.

PeroK said:
I'd make a general suggestion, based on this and your post yesterday. I find it easier with these problems to generalise things - I find the structure of the algebra easier to see. Also, I find I learn the general algebraic patterns and can remember them better.
I think it would pay dividends to work through that general calculation and try to remember that as a general algebraic approach.

I like that approach, i will try it. Looks cleaner and i see your point.I'm trying to solve the problem using your tips, but I'm not quite there yet, i think i have two problems. First:
TSny said:
The integrals from 0 to ∞ of ψ02 and ψ12 should not require any actual integrating if you think about it.
i'm not sure why ##\psi_0^2## and ##\psi_1^2## are easy. is it because they are orthonormal?

and my other problem:
TSny said:
Note that ## i(e^{iE_0}e^{-iE_1}-e^{iE_1}e^{-iE_0}) ## can be written in a nice way in terms of a trig function
did you wan't me to find ##2Re[\alpha \beta^* \exp(i(E_1 - E_0)t/\hbar] \psi_0 \psi_1 ## just like PeroK? I'm not sure how he got there.. I tried expanding using ##e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i \sin(x)## and ##\sin(x) = (e^{ix}-e^{-ix}) / 2i## but without luck.

I managed to do the integral of ##\psi_1 \psi_0 ##, which i think is correct. Here it is
Using Hermite polynomials i can rewrite;
##\psi_0 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-\xi^2/2}##
##\psi_1 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} 2 \xi e^{-\xi^2/2}##
combine them in the integral:
##\int_{0}^{\infty} \psi_0 \psi_1 \ dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-\xi^2/2} e^{-\xi^2/2} 2 \xi \ dx##
##= \int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{2/4} \frac{1}{2} 2 e^{-\xi^2} \xi dx##
simplify further, insert ##\xi##, and pull constant out of integral
##= \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar}} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\xi^2} \xi dx##
##= \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar}} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x^2} \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} x dx##
##=\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x^2} x dx##

i can solve that integral by using
## \int_{0}^{\infty} x^{2n+1} e^{-x^2/a^2} dx = \frac{n!}{2}a^{2n+2}##
with ##n = 0## and ## a=-\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m \omega}}##

That gives me
##=\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x^2} x dx =\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hbar}{m \omega} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}##

I hope that's correct. Then it's only the two last thing I'm missing for the task. Again, thank you so much for helping me.

Last edited:
renec112 said:
##=\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x^2} x dx =\frac{m \omega}{\sqrt{\pi} \hbar} \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hbar}{m \omega} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}##

I hope that's correct. Then it's only the two last thing I'm missing for the task. Again, thank you so much for helping me.

I got ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}##

But, I did it with different variables, so it's hard to see where our solutions diverge.

You've got all the ideas, it's just the complexity of the integrals.

renec112 said:
##\psi_0 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-\xi^2/2}##

That ##\sqrt2## shouldn't be there. Which explains it.

PeroK said:
That ##\sqrt2## shouldn't be there. Which explains it.
Oh yes, i see. off course.

Do i have the right idea about how ti simplify the time dependent term?

I see i don't have to do the ##\psi_n^2## term, because of course:
##\langle \psi_n | \psi_n \rangle = \int_\infty^\infty \psi_n * \psi_n dx = 1##
## \Rightarrow \int_0^\infty \psi_n * \psi_n dx = 1/2##

renec112 said:
Oh yes, i see. off course.

Do i have the right idea about how ti simplify the time dependent term?

I see i don't have to do the ##\psi_n^2## term, because of course:
##\langle \psi_n | \psi_n \rangle = \int_\infty^\infty \psi_n * \psi_n dx = 1##
## \Rightarrow \int_0^\infty \psi_n * \psi_n dx = 1/2##

Yes, you can get that by symmetry.

I don't see the problem with taking the real part of a complex exponential? You just have to be careful with the complex coefficient in there.

Likes renec112
PeroK said:
Yes, you can get that by symmetry.

I don't see the problem with taking the real part of a complex exponential? You just have to be careful with the complex coefficient in there.
I'm just wondering how you did it - how to simplify ## i(e^{i \alpha}e^{- \beta}-e^{i \beta}e^{-i \alpha}) ##

renec112 said:
I'm just wondering how you did it - how to simplify ## i(e^{i \alpha}e^{- \beta}-e^{i \beta}e^{-i \alpha}) ##
I'm on my phone, which can't cope with complex algebra. You need to combine the exponential products first. Then you could just write everything out: ##exp = cos + isin##.

Better is to note that the second term is the conjugate of the first.

Last edited:
Likes renec112
Ps remember ##z + z^* =2Re(z)##

Likes renec112
PeroK said:
I'm on my phone, which can't cope with complex algebra. You need to combine the exponential products first. Then you could just write everything out: ##exp = cos + isin##.

Better is to note that the second term is the conjugate of the first.
Thanks for helping me on the go!

This is what i have tried. It's not the same but it looks reasonablei think. I went a bit crazy.
## i(e^{i \alpha}e^{-i \beta} - e^{i \beta}e^{- i \alpha}) ##
Drop the ##i## for now.
## e^{i \alpha}e^{-i \beta} - e^{i \beta}e^{- i \alpha} = e^{i (\alpha-\beta)} - e^{i (\beta - \alpha)} ##
expand using euler.
## \cos(\alpha-\beta) + i \sin(\alpha-\beta) - \cos(\beta - \alpha) - \sin(\beta - \alpha) = \cos(\alpha-\beta) + i \sin(\alpha-\beta) - \cos(-1(\alpha-\beta)) - \sin(-1(\alpha- \beta)) ##
I can clean up, because:
## \sin(-A) = -\sin(A)##, and ##\cos(-A) = \cos(A)##
giving me:
## \cos(\alpha-\beta) + i \sin(\alpha-\beta) - \cos(\alpha-\beta) + \sin(\alpha- \beta) = 2i \sin(\alpha-\beta) = -2i \sin(\beta-\alpha) ##
Using the ##i## i saved later gives:
##2\sin(\beta-\alpha) = 2 \sin(\frac{t}{\hbar}(E_1 - E_0))##
I know the energies for a harmonic oscialtor (##E_n = (n + 1/2) \hbar \omega##).
##2\sin(\beta-\alpha) = 2 \sin(\frac{t}{\hbar}(\frac{3}{2} \hbar \omega - \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega)) = 2 \sin(t \omega) ##

Giving me the final change for finding the particle ## x \geq 0##:
##1/2 (1/2 + 1/2 + 2 \sin(t \omega)) = 1/2 + 2 \sin(t \omega)##

I think it's ok since ## t \omega## is dimensionless..

You forgot the term that came from integrating ##\psi_0\psi_1##.

Otherwise, I think that's right.

Likes renec112
PeroK said:
You forgot the term that came from integrating ##\psi_0\psi_1##.

Otherwise, I think that's right.
Ah yes i did.. Thanks for the help PeroK. :)

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a particle or system that experiences a restoring force proportional to its displacement from an equilibrium position. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of many physical systems.

What is the chance of finding a particle with a displacement greater than zero in a harmonic oscillator?

The chance of finding a particle with a displacement greater than zero in a harmonic oscillator is dependent on the energy level of the particle. In general, the higher the energy level, the greater the chance of finding the particle with a displacement greater than zero. However, the exact probability depends on the specific parameters of the oscillator, such as the amplitude and frequency.

How is the chance of finding a particle with a displacement greater than zero calculated in a harmonic oscillator?

The chance of finding a particle with a displacement greater than zero can be calculated using the wave function of the harmonic oscillator. The square of the wave function, also known as the probability density, gives the probability of finding the particle at a specific displacement from the equilibrium position.

What factors affect the chance of finding a particle with a displacement greater than zero in a harmonic oscillator?

The chance of finding a particle with a displacement greater than zero in a harmonic oscillator is affected by various factors, including the energy level of the particle, the amplitude and frequency of the oscillator, and the uncertainty principle. Additionally, external forces or perturbations can also affect the probability of finding the particle at a certain displacement.

Why is the chance of finding a particle with a displacement greater than zero in a harmonic oscillator not equal to 100%?

The probability of finding a particle with a displacement greater than zero in a harmonic oscillator is not equal to 100% due to the uncertainty principle. This principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, can be known at the same time. Therefore, there is always a chance that the particle can be found at a displacement other than zero, even if the energy level is high.