1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic question concerning the concept of a work integral

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    Edit: I think I figured it out actually. Left must be negative by the way I introduced the x-axis meaning the force is -10 not 10 when I set up the integral.

Hey guys, this isn't a homework question but solving a hw problem led me to think about this.

Imagine I have a mass situated on the x-axis. The mass is at x=5m, I then apply a 10N force to the object until it is at x=2m.

The force is 10, the distance is 3, they're in the same direction and the angle is zero so I performed +30J of work.

But now if I evaluate it as an integral I can say the force is ∫10dx evaluated from 5 to 2 which becomes 10*2 -10*5 = -30

So the integral tells me I performed negative work:confused: How could that be?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2
    Your integral is missing a minus sign, since the force is -10N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook