Determine Scaling Dimension of Field Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a theory that is invariant under length scaling, where the action of a real scalar field is given by an integral with derivative terms and an interaction term. The conversation explores the transformation of the field and its derivatives under scaling, and concludes that the only allowed theory is a massless field with a quartic interaction. They also discuss the Noether current of the scale symmetry and the implications for quantizing the theory.
ergospherical
It is given that a theory is invariant under the length scaling:\begin{align*}
x &\rightarrow \lambda x \\
\phi(x) &\rightarrow \lambda^{-D} \phi(\lambda^{-1} x)
\end{align*}for some ##D## to be determined. The action of a real scalar field is here:\begin{align*}
S = \int d^4 x \dfrac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu} \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi - \dfrac{1}{2}m^2 \phi^2 -g\phi^p
\end{align*}Since ##\partial_{\mu} = \frac{\partial x'^{\nu}}{\partial x^{\mu}} \partial'_{\nu} = {(\Lambda^{-1})^{\nu}}_{\mu} \partial'_{\nu}## then would I be correct in thinking that the derivative of the field transforms as:\begin{align*}
\partial_{\mu} \phi(x) \rightarrow \partial_{\mu} \phi'(x) &= \lambda^{-D} \partial_{\mu} \phi(\lambda^{-1} x) \\
&= \lambda^{-D} {(\Lambda^{-1})^{\nu}}_{\mu} \partial'_{\nu} \phi(x')
\end{align*}so the derivative term in the action transforms as \begin{align*}
(\partial_{\mu} \phi)^2 &\rightarrow \lambda^{-2D} {(\Lambda^{-1})^{\nu}}_{\mu} {\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\rho} (\partial'_{\nu} \phi(x'))( \partial'^{\rho} \phi(x')) \\
&= \lambda^{-2D} (\partial'_{\mu} \phi(x'))^2
\end{align*}Meanwhile ##d^4 x = \lambda^{-4} d^4 x'##, and this would imply scale invariance when ##D=-2##? That feels wrong and I worry that I have transformed the wrong things.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's much simpler. For the scale transformation to be a symmetry, it's sufficient that the action is invariant. Now start with the massless free field,
$$S_0=\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{\mu} \phi) (\partial^{\mu} \phi).$$
Since ##\mathrm{d}^4 x \rightarrow \lambda^4 \mathrm{d}^4 x## and ##\partial_{\mu} \rightarrow \frac{1}{\lambda} \partial_{\mu}##, you must have ##D=1## to get ##S_0## invariant.

Then you see that the mass term is "forbidden" by the symmetry, because ##\mathrm{d}^4 x m^2 \phi^2## is not invariant. This is no surprise, because ##m## is a dimensionful parameter, which breaks scale invariance to begin with.

For the interaction term ##\mathrm{d}^4 x \phi^p## must be invariant, and thus ##p=4##. Indeed, only for ##p=4## the coupling constant ##g## is dimensionless too.

So the only allowed theory of this kind is a massless field ##\phi## with a ##\phi^4## interaction.

Some further ideas to think about:

(a) What's the Noether current of the scale symmetry?

(b) If you quantize it, you have to renormalize this massless (!) field theory, and then what happens with scale invariance?

• Love
Likes ergospherical
I was thinking about the two questions earlier, I wonder if you can guide me a little since this is new material. What I understand is that if the Lagrangian varies by a total derivative ##\delta \mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu} F^{\mu}## under a variation ##\delta \phi_a(x) = X_a (\phi)## of the fields, then one obtains a Noether current ##j^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi_{a,\mu}} X_a(\phi) - F^{\mu}(\phi)## satisfying ##\nabla \cdot j = 0##.

For this problem, is it correct to proceed as follows? I will put ##\lambda = 1+ \epsilon## where ##\epsilon## is a small positive or negative number, then write\begin{align*}
\tilde{\phi}(x) = \lambda^{-1} \phi(\lambda^{-1}x) &= (1 - \epsilon + O(\epsilon^2))\phi((1- \epsilon) x + O(\epsilon^2 x^2)) \\
&= (1 - \epsilon + O(\epsilon^2)) (\phi(x) - \epsilon x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu}(x) + O(\epsilon^2 x^2) ) \\
&= \phi(x) - \epsilon \phi(x) - \epsilon x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu}(x)
\end{align*}Then ##\delta \phi = - \epsilon (\phi + x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu})##. For ##\phi_{,\mu}## I write\begin{align*}
\delta \phi_{,\mu} &= -\epsilon \partial_{\mu}(\phi + x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu}) \\
&= - \epsilon \phi_{,\mu} - \epsilon \partial_{\mu}(x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu}) \\
&= - \epsilon \phi_{,\mu} - \epsilon \phi_{,\mu} - x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu \mu} \\
&= -\epsilon(2\phi_{,\mu} + x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu \mu})
\end{align*}I write for the Lagrangian,\begin{align*}
\mathcal{L} = \dfrac{1}{2} \phi_{,\mu} \phi^{,\mu} -g \phi^4
\end{align*}from which follows ##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi_{,\mu}} = \phi^{,\mu}## and ##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} = -4g\phi^3##, so that\begin{align*}
\delta \mathcal{L} &= -\epsilon \phi^{,\mu}(2\phi_{,\mu} + x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu \mu}) + 4 g \epsilon \phi^3 (\phi + x^{\nu} \phi_{,\nu}) \\
&= -4\epsilon( \frac{1}{2} \phi^{,\mu} \phi^{,\mu} - g \phi^4) - 4\epsilon x^{\nu} (\frac{1}{4}\phi^{,\mu} \phi_{,\nu \mu} - g \phi^3 \phi_{,\nu}) \\
&= -4 \epsilon \left[ \mathcal{L} + x^{\nu} (\frac{1}{4}\phi^{,\mu} \phi_{,\nu \mu} - g \phi^3 \phi_{,\nu}) \right] \\
&= -4 \epsilon \left[ \mathcal{L} + x^{\nu} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}} (\frac{1}{2}\phi^{,\mu} \phi_{,\mu} - \dfrac{1}{4}g \phi^4) \right] \\
\end{align*}which is almost ##- 4\epsilon \partial_{\nu}(x^{\nu} \mathcal{L})## but fails because of the factor of ##1/4## in front of the ##g\phi^4## term...

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Looks good (though I haven't checked the calculation in dateail). But now you also have to take into account that you have to express ##\mathrm{d}^4 x'## through ##\mathrm{d}^4 x## in the action integral, i.e., there's an additional contribution from the corresponding Jacobian, which you also get by expanding to first order in ##\epsilon##.

Likes ergospherical

1. What is the scaling dimension of a field in field theory?

The scaling dimension of a field in field theory is a numerical value that represents how the field behaves under a change in scale. It is a measure of how the field's properties change as we zoom in or out on the system.

2. How is the scaling dimension of a field determined?

The scaling dimension of a field is determined through mathematical calculations and analysis based on the symmetries and interactions of the field. It can also be experimentally measured through observations of the field's behavior at different scales.

3. What is the significance of the scaling dimension in field theory?

The scaling dimension is an important concept in field theory as it helps us understand how fields behave and interact with each other. It also plays a crucial role in the renormalization process, which is used to remove divergences and make predictions in quantum field theory.

4. Can the scaling dimension of a field change?

Yes, the scaling dimension of a field can change depending on the parameters and conditions of the system. For example, in a phase transition, the scaling dimension of a field may change as the system moves from one phase to another.

5. How does the scaling dimension affect the behavior of a field?

The scaling dimension affects the behavior of a field by determining how it scales under a change in scale. A field with a larger scaling dimension will exhibit stronger fluctuations and have a larger impact on the system, while a field with a smaller scaling dimension will have a more subtle effect.