Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BBKGY equations of kinetic theory

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1

TSC

Are there any good books to understand the BBKGY equations of kinetic theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

Equilibrium and Non-Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics, by Radu Balescu

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the context of plasma physics I really like the treatment in "introduction to plasma theory" by Nicholson. Check your library, as it has been out of print for awhile.

Liboff's "Kinetic Theory" (2nd edition in 1998, a newer 3rd edition is out, too) isn't bad, either.

6. Apr 14, 2014 #5

TSC

Thanks for all your reply. I am a kinetic theory junkie.
    I am half way through in Liboff, but now am switching to Huang, because you said it is shorter, and I also find that it can lead to Boltzmann equation immediately.
    'BBKGY' is so hard to spell! And I cannot even pronounce those Russian names.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  7. Apr 21, 2014 #6

TSC

I have found a very good book on the introduction to BBKGY: <Statistical Physics of Particles> by Mehran Kardar.
    In one breath (chapter) he/she explained Liouville's theorem, ensemble average, derived the BBKGY equations, which are used to prove the Boltzmann equation and hydrodynamics in a very clear manner.
    I finally understood the BBKGY.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook