Beam Analysis for Indeterminate Beam with Overhang

In summary, the problem involves a 9000mm beam with supports at x=1500, x=4500, and x=7500 positions, and a uniformly distributed load. The goal is to solve for the maximum moment, but the presence of overhanging ends complicates the solution. Without the overhang, simplified equations for indeterminate beams could be used.
John Les
1. The problem,
I have a beam 9000 mm in length.
assuming a x-coordinate system: supports are at the x= 1500, x= 4500, and x= 7500 positions.
there's a uniformly distributed load (let's call it w) through the length of the beam (from 0 to 9000mm)

Solve for the MAXIMUM moment. This would be much simpler if the overhang wasn't there since there're available "simplified" equations for this kind of beam. But the overhang makes a new story.

Homework Equations

= 0 huehue[/B]3. 0 attempts T_T I have no idea where to start..

Physics news on Phys.org
John Les said:
1. The problem,
I have a beam 9000 mm in length.
assuming a x-coordinate system: supports are at the x= 1500, x= 4500, and x= 7500 positions.
there's a uniformly distributed load (let's call it w) through the length of the beam (from 0 to 9000mm)

Solve for the MAXIMUM moment. This would be much simpler if the overhang wasn't there since there're available "simplified" equations for this kind of beam. But the overhang makes a new story.

Homework Equations

= 0 huehue[/B]3. 0 attempts T_T I have no idea where to start..
Where would you start if the overhanging ends weren't there? That is, unless you're just a "cook book" kinda guy.

Uhmm really bad at indeterminate beam analysis actually.. Last I remember, I was in my 3rd year in college, and I barely even passed that. Fast forward 4 years later, I'm still bad at it. Huehue

If the overhanging beams weren't there I'd use the simplified equations for indeterminate beams (they have a table for different cases)

1. What is an indeterminate beam with overhang?

An indeterminate beam with overhang is a type of beam structure that has both overhanging and continuous sections. This means that the beam has at least one unsupported section, which makes it more complex to analyze compared to a simply supported beam.

2. How is beam analysis for indeterminate beams with overhang different from simply supported beams?

The main difference is that indeterminate beams with overhang have additional reactions and internal forces that need to be considered in the analysis. This is because the overhanging section creates additional bending moments and shear forces, making the beam statically indeterminate.

3. What are the methods used for analyzing indeterminate beams with overhang?

The most commonly used methods are the slope-deflection method and the moment distribution method. These methods use the principles of equilibrium, compatibility, and superposition to determine the reactions, internal forces, and deflections of the beam.

4. What are the assumptions made in beam analysis for indeterminate beams with overhang?

The main assumptions are that the beam is made of a homogenous and isotropic material, the cross-section remains plane and linearly elastic, and the beam is loaded within its elastic limit. Additionally, the beam is assumed to be statically determinate after the application of the overhanging section.

5. What are the practical applications of analyzing indeterminate beams with overhang?

Indeterminate beams with overhang are commonly used in building and bridge structures where there is a need for longer spans without additional support columns. Accurate analysis of these beams is crucial for ensuring structural integrity and safety. This type of beam can also be used in cantilever structures, such as balconies and canopies.