1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam Analysis for Indeterminate Beam with Overhang

1. May 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem,
    I have a beam 9000 mm in length.
    assuming a x-coordinate system: supports are at the x= 1500, x= 4500, and x= 7500 positions.
    there's a uniformly distributed load (let's call it w) through the length of the beam (from 0 to 9000mm)

Solve for the MAXIMUM moment. This would be much simpler if the overhang wasn't there since there're available "simplified" equations for this kind of beam. But the overhang makes a new story.

2. Relevant equations = 0 huehue

3. 0 attempts T_T I have no idea where to start..

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where would you start if the overhanging ends weren't there? That is, unless you're just a "cook book" kinda guy.

4. May 23, 2015 #3
    Uhmm really bad at indeterminate beam analysis actually.. Last I remember, I was in my 3rd year in college, and I barely even passed that. Fast forward 4 years later, I'm still bad at it. Huehue

If the overhanging beams weren't there I'd use the simplified equations for indeterminate beams (they have a table for different cases)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted