How can I showcase my acting talent and stand out in Hollywood?

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, Marlon is a physics PhD student who used to enjoy performing on stage in high school but hasn't pursued it in college. His dream is to become a Hollywood actor, but he is unsure of the best path to take. He wonders if he should move to LA and try to make it happen, but an expert advises against it and suggests sending tapes and photos to agents instead. Marlon is also concerned about the competitiveness and cutthroat nature of the acting industry. He considers starting out in the EU scene but still ultimately wants to be a Hollywood actor. He is also interested in incorporating his physics background into his acting. An expert suggests focusing on physics and looking for opportunities in acting on the side, such as attending a university in
arildno said:
That's not a problem for marlon. He's a smoker.. :approve:
:rofl: :rofl:

yeah...that shouldn't be a problem, and in the worst case, i still have my Norwegian smoking buddy.

ps arildno : i think the wintergames of Lillehammer in 1994 where the best games ever. I really enjoyed the world records of Johann Olav Koss on the 5000 and 10000meters . As i recall, did he not also win the 1500m

and who can forget the achievement of Oksana Baioul in figure skating. I believe she was only 16 back then...

marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
You think you have a better shot at celebrity as an actor than as a physicist? Roll the dice and take your chances!

this is not about becoming famous man...please ...

marlon

marlon said:
:rofl: :rofl:

yeah...that shouldn't be a problem, and in the worst case, i still have my Norwegian smoking buddy.

ps arildno : i think the wintergames of Lillehammer in 1994 where the best games ever. I really enjoyed the world records of Johann Olav Koss on the 5000 and 10000meters . As i recall, did he not also win the 1500m

and who can forget the achievement of Oksana Baioul in figure skating. I believe she was only 16 back then...

marlon
Not to mention the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan debacle..:wink:

More serious though: pursue your dream.

arildno said:
Not to mention the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan debacle..:wink:

yeah, how could i forget? Do you know the name of the woman that sung at the opening ceremonies. She had a magical voice and i believe she is Norwegian. I also thought she once sang with Placido Domingo at one of the Christmass in Vienna-extravaganza's...I would like to know her name

More serious though: pursue your dream.
Thanks, appreciate it

marlon

marlon said:
yeah, how could i forget? Do you know the name of the woman that sung at the opening ceremonies. She had a magical voice and i believe she is Norwegian. I also thought she once sang with Placido Domingo at one of the Christmass in Vienna-extravaganza's...I would like to know her name
It most probably was Sissel Kyrkjebø; I'm not totally sure, though..

EDIT:
Yep, it was her.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Here's a link to Sissel's home page:
http://www.sissel.net/

thanks man...she is very nice

marlon

marlon said:
You know, though i am currently doing a physics phd at IMEC (look at the website in my profile), i always enjoyed playing on stage when i was in high school. Since being in college at never performed anymore but my dream has always been to become a Hollywood actor. In order to achieve this, should i just move to LA and "make things happen" ? That is what i always had in mind...

marlon

When Brad Pitt was a struggling actor he moved to California in his beat-up Nissan called Runaround Sue. To pay for his acting classes, he worked as a limo driver for strippers, a mascot for pollo locco chicken and delivering appliances.

One of the wonderful things about this country, is with hard work, persistence, drive and luck you will achieve your dreams...

But your first sentence says a lot. You chose Physics, you're working on your Phd in Physics. That's your first love. You'll have more luck in that. Being an actor is just wishful thinking, it'll pass.

Last edited:
"One of the wonderful things about this country, is with hard work, persistence, drive and luck you will achieve your dreams..."

This has been true of every society.
Work like a slave, intrigue against your peers, suck up to your superiors, then you might become a superior yourself.

arildno said:
This has been true of every society.
Work like a slave, intrigue against your peers, suck up to your superiors, then you might become a superior yourself.

Someone has a huge chip on their shoulders :rolleyes: But hey, you earned that advisor title so I'm not holding that against you :biggrin:

arildno said:
Here's a link to Sissel's home page:
Holy cats! Thanks, man. I haven't heard her music yet, but that site is worth it for the visuals. :tongue2:

Danger said:
Holy cats! Thanks, man. I haven't heard her music yet, but that site is worth it for the visuals. :tongue2:
There are no sheep there, though..

The_Professional said:
Someone has a huge chip on their shoulders :rolleyes: But hey, you earned that advisor title so I'm not holding that against you :biggrin:
Uhm..no. Just stating some historical facts for you, that's all.

arildno said:
Uhm..no. Just stating some historical facts for you, that's all.

I didn't ask for it. Shut the hell up.

Yes, being brainwashed is a cozy state of mind, isn't it?

arildno said:
Yes, being brainwashed is a cozy state of mind, isn't it?

If I wanted a history lesson I'll go pick up a history book. If YOU got a beef with society go start a thread in the politics forum.

The_Professional said:
If I wanted a history lesson I'll go pick up a history book.
I suggest you do.

arildno said:
I suggest you do.

I suggest you kiss my ass.

No, thank you.
Your list is simply the set of survival rules under a dictatorship.
They have nothing to do with the great Western&American ideals of individual freedom.

arildno said:
No, thank you.
Your list is simply the set of survival rules under a dictatorship.
They have nothing to do with the great Western&American ideals of individual freedom.

Blah blah blah. I've lived in a country under dictatorship for years. You don't know a thing about living and breathing under a dictatorial regime. You can parrot me ideas about that, but they're just ideas/facts you read in a book.

Last edited:
arildno said:
There are no sheep there, though..
I am willing to overlook that fact given the nature of what is there. :tongue2:

marlon said:
ok, but how do i get in ? I mean, i don't really feel like restarting my phd you see ? Besides, i doubt if going back to college is a usefull thing in my case

regards
marlon

I'd say finish up that PhD quick, and come to LA for a postdoc.

The_Professional said:
Blah blah blah. I've lived in a country under dictatorship for years. You don't know a thing about living and breathing under a dictatorial regime. You can parrot me ideas about that, but they're just ideas/facts you read in a book.

I think the idea still works in any society but its in a different manner. Here you can work from the gorund up and work 9-9 and bring in success for your company and that is what we would call "working hard to become successful". In a dictatorship though, as I am sure you could agree with, the same rules apply except that 9-9, success, investment, etc is replaced with activities we might call criminal. I'm sure there's a way to become "sucessful" in any country, but the methods to be successful are probably radically different in a dictatorship vs. free society.

marlon said:
yeah, probably...however i am planning to incorporate the physics in my acting-style...I am going to be a real rational actor...i really hate the exagurated way of acting that is common amoung most semi-talented actors

No, that doesn't sell, it won't work. People like huge explosions coming otu of a tv or computer or a bullet hitting a tank will blow up a building or a big piece of metal flying through a building sending an explosion 300 feet high lol. Also, be prepared to throw your own morals and standards out the window. You don't hire producers to make movies, they hire you.

I wouldn't doubt that in the US, you'd probably have to throw away any idea of moral and ethics. With the # of actors and actresses from huge hollywood films going into drug rehab programs, at least i feel its obvious that there's a lot of drug activity going on. Alot of actors/actresses however, u can just see it on them immediately. I honestly hate hollwood... and unfortunately it lives 300 miles south of me... pff.

marlon said:
You know, though i am currently doing a physics phd at IMEC (look at the website in my profile), i always enjoyed playing on stage when i was in high school. Since being in college at never performed anymore but my dream has always been to become a Hollywood actor. In order to achieve this, should i just move to LA and "make things happen" ? That is what i always had in mind...

marlon

I'd say the first step is to act in "some" sort of film. Just someone's amateur film. Something that shows your skills. I'm sure there are tons of independent filmmakers that are looking for free actors for their films.

If you have the patience you can do what Shane Carruth did. Have you heard of "Primer" ? It was written, directed, scored, acted by a former engineer called Shane Carruth. I happen to know one of the other actors. Shane decided he wanted to make a film and did it. It took him two years.

He knew nothing about filmmaking, and with $7000 he made a Sundance Festival winning film. I thought he did a great acting job. He's never acted before and has no ambition to act. But he had to to get the film done.

Maybe you can make your own film. Maybe just a short film. I think it's a better use of your time than going the homeless hollywood route. Nothing showcases your talent like a finished product. It's a tough route. But it'll distinguish you from the rest of the crowd.