Need advice/your stories on what to do; my RA isn't going as expected?

It is also important to communicate your own goals and aspirations in order to determine if the role is a good fit for you. If necessary, it is ethical to look for other research assistant positions where your skills can be better utilized. It is important to have open and honest communication with your supervisor in order to ensure a productive and fulfilling experience in your current role.
ams
Hi all,

I just finished up my master's degree a few months ago, during which I did my thesis work at another university. The work I did was very exciting and gratifying to me since I plan to continue in the same field. As a result, I had asked my supervisor if there were any research opportunities in his lab for me (that I could take up for a year or so), and they offered me an RA.

My main intention for this year-long endeavor was to learn enough skills pertaining to my subject, such that it would be easier for me to get into a grad school, or get a job in the field (there are a decent number of highly competitive entry level jobs for masters degree holders in this field).

During my thesis, I did a lot of reading work and also simulations/designs, etc. Keeping this in mind, I'd expected to do a lot more work in the lab now that I was full time, and set myself some goals before I started the RA:
-learn skills (such as fabrication, experiment set up, or measurement techniques) that will give me an edge on my grad school/job applications
-try out something new that would be useful to the lab (designing something for them, or tagging along with them to make their work easier)
-try (with the hardest efforts) to publish a paper
-do the menial stuff in lab (which would be helpful for the others right now, and for me during my PhD)

The previous RA in the lab before I joined was able to accomplish all of the above, so I don't think it's impossible for me as well.

However, since I joined, there has been one problem after another. One of the machines is broken and will take 6 months to repair/replace (or so I was told, but the others are still always up to something with said machine). The funds have run dry so I can't learn fabrication (they're also convincing me that one year is too short to learn fab, however the previous RA has done it and various RAs from other labs are also doing it). No results = nothing to publish. On numerous occasions, I have also asked whether I could help with absolutely anything at all, and all times have been returned with a 'no' for an answer (they keep saying everything is too difficult for me). I have also been patiently waiting for something as trivial as an official email ID (to access resources on the university website, group website, etc) but no luck so far. It maybe a silly matter, but I'm also not mentioned anywhere on the group website (whereas all of the previous RAs are).

Currently, I come to lab every morning after a long commute (initially I planned on moving closer, but with the uncertainty I feel right now, I'm reconsidering) sit here at a desk all day and read papers (atleast that way I'm learning something). I've been asked to read about an area that is completely different than the lab's primary goals, can't work with them directly on what they're doing, can't do the menial jobs because they're 'too hard', can't work on anything I had initially planned to do, can't even re-study the old things I did during my thesis. At this point, I feel so useless and like a deadweight, and don't even feel like a member of the lab. I was at the top of my class in college and my professors have always said I had an aptitude for experimental physics. I also know myself that I am capable of soldering wires, unscrewing screws, pressing buttons on a display, etc, yet am not being allowed to do these very things. The other lab members are also not that encouraging of my wanting to help (they'll show me what they're doing, and they'll explain but they won't let me try it on my own even if it's simple). I try to observe and absorb as much as I can nevertheless.

I've been here for a year now, but only a few months as an RA, so is this normal to expect? I don't get why I have to come to lab to do something I might as well do at home (one might say the networking is important, but in my case, that too is a lost cause). Is it ethical to try for other RAs elsewhere where I think I could be more productive/my skills could actually be used? I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of my supervisor (since he oversaw my thesis and I'd want recos from him for grad school applications). Has anyone else been in the same sticky situation? If so, what did you do?

Physics news on Phys.org
ams said:
Is it ethical to try for other RAs elsewhere where I think I could be more productive/my skills could actually be used?
Yes. Unless you have specifically signed a contract that says you will not then it is always ethical to look for another position. (And I don’t recommend signing such a contract)

However, the first thing that I would recommend is to sit down with your boss and have a discussion about his specific expectations for the role. This is a discussion that you may need to have several times during your career, so having it now is a good professional experience. Find out his expectations, both in general terms but also in terms of specific daily tasks and responsibilities. Let him know your goals also, both in terms of general career advancement and specific goals for this position. After that it should be mutually clear if this role is a good fit.

Likes russ_watters, StatGuy2000 and Choppy
Sorry for my late reply. Thank you very much for your answer.

Dale said:
However, the first thing that I would recommend is to sit down with your boss and have a discussion about his specific expectations for the role. This is a discussion that you may need to have several times during your career, so having it now is a good professional experience. Find out his expectations, both in general terms but also in terms of specific daily tasks and responsibilities. Let him know your goals also, both in terms of general career advancement and specific goals for this position. After that it should be mutually clear if this role is a good fit.

I tried to talk to my supervisor once again and made my goals lucid to him this time. His response remains, however, that mostly I will not be doing anything apart from reading until December since the instruments are out of order.

Dale said:
Yes. Unless you have specifically signed a contract that says you will not then it is always ethical to look for another position. (And I don’t recommend signing such a contract)

Good to know this. I've not signed anything as of such, and am still rather unofficial here. I will be emailing other labs for opportunities soon. :-)

Likes Dale

1. What are some common symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)?

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that primarily affects the joints. Some common symptoms include joint pain, stiffness, swelling, and redness. Other symptoms may include fatigue, fever, and weight loss. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

2. What are some treatment options for RA?

Treatment for RA aims to manage symptoms, prevent joint damage, and improve overall quality of life. This may include medications, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and lifestyle changes such as regular exercise and a healthy diet. It is important to work closely with a healthcare team to determine the best treatment plan for your specific case.

3. Can RA be cured?

There is currently no cure for RA. However, with proper management and treatment, symptoms can be reduced and joint damage can be prevented. It is important to continue following a treatment plan even if symptoms improve to maintain long-term joint health.

4. How can I manage RA flare-ups?

RA flare-ups are periods of increased symptoms and can be unpredictable. It is important to listen to your body and rest during these times. Applying heat or ice to affected joints, taking over-the-counter pain relievers, and following a healthy diet can also help manage flare-ups. Consult with your healthcare team for personalized recommendations.

5. How does RA affect daily life?

RA can affect daily life in various ways, depending on the severity of symptoms and individual circumstances. Some people may experience difficulty with daily tasks such as dressing, cooking, or driving. It can also impact mental health and social interactions. It is important to communicate openly with loved ones and healthcare professionals about any challenges you may be facing and to seek support when needed.