1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Becoming a Physicist/Graduate School

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    Hello! I just recently signed up and had a question I was wondering if anyone could help with. I am currently in undergrad studying Music Industry. I started my schooling career in Physics but after a few bad decisions found myself where I am now. That being said I was wondering if anyone could recommend some sources in order for me to self teach myself Physics. Also I was wondering if I would have any chance of attending graduate school in Physics and what steps I should take if that was an option. Thank you for any feedback you could possibly have!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There's a very good chance that you will not be able to attend grad school simply by self-teaching. I mean, would you let someone perform surgery on you whose qualification is based on just self-teaching?

If you stick with your "music industry" study, there will be nothing in your academic transcript that indicates that you have the qualification to do physics. Period.

I have previously indicated some self-analysis that someone with a degree that's different than physics should do before attempting to apply for a graduate program in physics. You might want to consider trying it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. Nov 13, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the response! I have a brief basic knowledge in Physics with Modern Thermo and Electricity. The link was very helpful!

5. Nov 13, 2013 #4
    Hi ZapperZ,

Is there any guide for self-study for Physics for preparation for Physics course(Bachelor Degree/Master) in future? I have already take the subject General Physics 1 & General Physics 2 before. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook