Beginner question regarding evolution

In summary, the birds on the island with the long pecks developed it because of mutations happening every day and most of them are harmless. However, some small mutations in a stomach cell can lead to the long beak. And the long beak is advantageous to the birds because it enables them to get more food. But the long beak can also be disadvantageous because it can lead to the birds becoming dominant over the small beaks and eventually becoming extinct.
silenzer
Hi,

I stumbled on your website when looking for a good place to ask educated professionals.
I'm 16, I have a question on evolution.

Ok so let's say there are these birds on an island with a food source that require long pecks, but these birds have smaller pecks than needed. So after a long time, I'm not sure to say how long, the birds have developed a longer peck, enabling them to reach the food source.
Now, as I understand, mutations happen every day and most of them are harmless, and some of them don't even matter. Perhaps some small mutation in a stomach cell.
I also recall that mutations happen randomly, and not in any particular part of the body for any animal. Just completely randomly.
So how can these birds develop with themselves this long peck, even if they have millions of years to do it? A single, a single part in their body being transformed beneficially? And how come the animals don't have extremely weird shapes (within each species) if mutations happen completely randomly? Why are the ears on the same spot in almost all human beings? I understand that if the human is too weird looking, he might not be able to get a mate. But a little weirder looks would happen if it would happen randomly, right?

Don't think I'm against evolution, this is just something I can't grasp. I'm a pantheist, so I believe in evolution.
Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
The ones with long beaks get more food, more strong, more able to survive and reproduce and thus contribute this trait to the lineage at the expense of the lil' ones that get hungry, weak, and die. It is however about averages and populations as a whole: on average, the long-beak population will be more successful than the small-beaks if the food source is more available to long-beaks, and after many generations, the proportion of long-beaks will start to dominate since these will have had a better chance for survival. And once they begin to dominate, additional factors affect the appearance of the trait such as sexual factors: the female will grow to know longer beaks are a better mate for her offspring, further decreasing the proportion of the small-beak trait. At some point, the population of small-beaks reach a critical point, beyond which the slide to extinction becomes likely.

jackmell said:
The ones with long beaks get more food, more strong, more able to survive and reproduce and thus contribute this trait to the lineage at the expense of the lil' ones that get hungry, weak, and die. It is however about averages and populations as a whole: on average, the long-beak population will be more successful than the small-beaks if the food source is more available to long-beaks, and after many generations, the proportion of long-beaks will start to dominate since these will have had a better chance for survival. And once they begin to dominate, additional factors affect the appearance of the trait such as sexual factors: the female will grow to know longer beaks are a better mate for her offspring, further decreasing the proportion of the small-beak trait. At some point, the population of small-beaks reach a critical point, beyond which the slide to extinction becomes likely.

Thanks for answering! But what about the latter part of the question, about the similar appearance of all humans?

That's not very clear what you're asking. Ears are at the same spot because that spot was selected as an advantageous trait in our evolutionary history. Genetic machinery guides this process and those genes were selected by the favorable advantage to survival and reproductive success imparted by that location.

Look at any trait in any species, and at some point in its evolutionary history, the trait was an advantage to survival and/or reproductive success.

Live and evolution is all about survival and reproduction.

But people seem to fail to account that those mutations, at least as proposed by mainstream evolution, are random and in both ways, they can be positive and negative.

Then, they are settle, and let's say one species evolves its beak to be 0.1 mm bigger, that would hardly give it such an edge compared to other species, nor does it mean all species with 0.1 mm shorted beaks will become extinct.

Then, that one unit that has its beak 0.1 mm bigger will mate with another unit that has its beak 0.1 smaller, and hops... there goes the advantage

And finally, what if evolutionary changes are not random, but susceptible to determination to a certain level, by the actual species? That would allow for accumulating positive features much easier than a settle random process that goes both ways and is effectively canceled out, as its effects are too settle to make a big difference over one or even a few generations?

Does the bigger beak evolve randomly, against common logic, or does it evolve bigger because the species need it?

dgtech said:
But people seem to fail to account that those mutations, at least as proposed by mainstream evolution, are random and in both ways, they can be positive and negative.

Then, they are settle, and let's say one species evolves its beak to be 0.1 mm bigger, that would hardly give it such an edge compared to other species, nor does it mean all species with 0.1 mm shorted beaks will become extinct.

Then, that one unit that has its beak 0.1 mm bigger will mate with another unit that has its beak 0.1 smaller, and hops... there goes the advantage

And finally, what if evolutionary changes are not random, but susceptible to determination to a certain level, by the actual species? That would allow for accumulating positive features much easier than a settle random process that goes both ways and is effectively canceled out, as its effects are too settle to make a big difference over one or even a few generations?

Does the bigger beak evolve randomly, against common logic, or does it evolve bigger because the species need it?
And I thought I had it all figured out :( I hope someone answers this question aswell

If you want a good grade, you'd better stick to what you are being told at school. You can explore other possibilities, but the educational system is unlikely to reward you for it :) You can still present the mainstream version in tests, and work out alternatives for your own intellectual benefit :)

The idea is those random mutations give such an edge to the species it affects, that they get way more competitive and push out the rest who don't have that mutation
It doesn't make much sense considering what I wrote in my first post here, but that's the way things are.. for now. I sure wish evolution was the only aspect of science I find rather unconvincing :) Keep in mind it is an old theory, and even Darwin had his doubts, which are reflected in his journals.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers! I'm definitely going to ask here again if I have any problems.

silenzer said:
And I thought I had it all figured out :( I hope someone answers this question aswell

Mutations are random and are either positive, negative, or neither.

and let's say one species evolves its beak to be 0.1 mm bigger, that would hardly give it such an edge compared to other species, nor does it mean all species with 0.1 mm shorted beaks will become extinct.

Can't say that. 1/10 mm could have an advantage. But maybe it wouldn't. But mutations are not all like that: one mutation could cause the beak to be several inches difference with just one birth. And there is still chance nothing would come of this individual but also chance it would mate with it's smaller-beak comtemporaries and could cause the off-spring to have a much larger beak than the parent with the smaller beak. And if it's a very successful trait leading to easier access to food, then these individuals would have an advantage over other small-beak individuals. But again, they could mate with small-beak partners or even another large-beak and still have off-spring with small beaks. It depends on how the gene is expressed and how successful it is in confering advantage to it's owner. And really we need to view this in terms of a population and not just one or two individuals. It's the population as a whole that evolves, not the individuals.

And finally, what if evolutionary changes are not random, but susceptible to determination to a certain level, by the actual species?

No. Mutations are random. Use "subtle" not settle.

It evolves because it has a selective advantage towards survival and reproduction. Species don't "need" anything. Rather they have random changes in their DNA which is then presented to nature which then selects or de-selects the trait based on it's ability to affect survival or reproductive success.

You said it - mutations can go both ways. Chances are 50/50 and cases of rapid and well pronounced mutations are very, very rare. You have mutations going both way in one population - you will get those advantages compensated by disadvantages. And as I said, one generation of "subtle" mutation could not possibly make an individual stand out, as there are many other factors. For example one unit can develop a little bigger beak, but be a little less agile and that could render the beak advantage useless.

Crossbreeding patters over generations can however result in species that have an edge, but they will also be carriers of bad genes that could potentially bring an end of their successful lineage as generations shift.

Truth is we cannot know for sure, as those changes happen in very long periods of time.

There are MANY observations that support my view, for example in forest fires butterfly population seems to mutate to change its camouflage so it doesn't stand out on burned out tree trunks and thus become easy prey. There is no process of some butterflies changing to "burned tree color" while others are changing to PINK, YELLOW or any RANDOM color. The "mutation" is not random, it is exactly what that species needs badly to survive.

dgtech said:
You said it - mutations can go both ways. Chances are 50/50 and cases of rapid and well pronounced mutations are very, very rare. You have mutations going both way in one population - you will get those advantages compensated by disadvantages. And as I said, one generation of "subtle" mutation could not possibly make an individual stand out, as there are many other factors. For example one unit can develop a little bigger beak, but be a little less agile and that could render the beak advantage useless.

I agree that useful mutations are rare.

There are MANY observations that support my view, for example in forest fires butterfly population seems to mutate to change its camouflage so it doesn't stand out on burned out tree trunks and thus become easy prey. There is no process of some butterflies changing to "burned tree color" while others are changing to PINK, YELLOW or any RANDOM color. The "mutation" is not random, it is exactly what that species needs badly to survive.

I suspect more likely the population of butterflies had a diverse range of coloring to begin with and the change in environment only selected from that population, the darker-colored ones by giving them an advantage to predation. I do not believe they changed suddenly in response to the darker trees. However I am familiar with the moth population in England which because of the industrial revolution, gradually changed from white to a dark color which gave them a survival advantage on the soot-covered trees. These however were still caused by one or more random mutations with the gene frequency in the population for that trait increasing gradually over many generations giving rise to the predominant darker color.

Do you have any plausible ways of proving that evolution is random and its direction is not being determined by the actual needs of species?

Life seems to rapidly adapt to change of conditions, and that can be driven by the actual species requirements. When conditions change, species cannot afford to wait millions of years for small random mutations to build up to ensure their survival. Also, as you said it - RARE

For example, did the giraffe long neck evolved as a random mutation, or their predecessors were constantly stretching their heads up to reach vegetation, and their genetic material has adapted ALL giraffes to evolve longer necks? Or you suggest there were also short neck giraffes that died out because they couldn't compete?

Why is it so scientific to believe in chance and coincidence, rather than the unique adaptability of life, which is in plain view so often?

Conditions on the planet have been changing so dramatically over the course of history that life could hardly endure if it wasn't adaptable and had to solely depend on chance and random and minuscule mutations, which are usually so slow they could never save spices from extinction.

IMO there is a certain degree of intelligence to evolution. There are also random mutations, but I don't think it is them who drive the direction of evolution.

One thing I learned thou - the b in subtle is mute - 10x for that correction

Last edited:
dgtech said:
Do you have any plausible ways of proving that evolution is random and its direction is not being determined by the actual needs of species?

I think any Biologist you ask would tell you evolutionary change is entirely random and subject to chance. In fact, I saw Stephen Gould shortly before he died. He used the term "massively contingent" in that talk to describe the randomness of evolution. I've used the term often ever since.
Life seems to rapidly adapt to change of conditions

Do it quick enough it won't.
When conditions change, species cannot afford to wait millions of years for small random mutations to build up to ensure their survival. Also, as you said it - RARE

Usually the changes are moderate except during one of the several massive extinctions in history in which cases they do not change and most die. At one time, the human population had almost become extinct with estimates of only a few thousand left at that time. We recovered.

For example, did the giraffe long neck evolved as a random mutation, or their predecessors were constantly stretching their heads up to reach vegetation, and their genetic material has adapted ALL giraffes to evolve longer necks? Or you suggest there were also short neck giraffes that died out because they couldn't compete?

Know what, I don't know exactly how it got so long. I suspect is was a combination of chance mutations, and selective pressures and I suspect it was gradual over many thousands of years although as I said I do not know for sure.

Conditions on the planet have been changing so dramatically over the course of history that life could hardly endure if it wasn't adaptable and had to solely depend on chance and random and minuscule mutations, which are usually so slow they could never save spices from extinction.

It didn't endure millions of times in evolutionary history. I'm sure you realize billions of species have become extinct since the origin of life. Sink or swim.

IMO there is a certain degree of intelligence to evolution. There are also random mutations, but I don't think it is them who drive the direction of evolution.

You're just humanizing a natural phenomenon. There is no intelligence what so ever behind evolution.

Interesting talk. I like evolution. Makes sense to me. But I'm older than you and have studied it longer. Twenty years from now, you'll look back and say, "Jack was right. He was being solid with me." :)

Last edited:
I asked about a plausible proof, not about what every person, milled through the educational system will tell me. I know what the textbooks say ;) If you are into writing I guess there is no point of explaining the meaning of the term "conformity" then? :)

Being able to make "decisions" (figuratively said) based on your surrounding environment is not strictly a human attribute. So no, I am not humanizing anything.

I think it is about 95% of all species ever lived that are extincted today. But most of them were extincted in the major extinction events with very few exceptions. Plus some changes in conditions are way too rapid for life to adapt. You won't grow fur overnight if the climate changes to cold. But species tend to adapt to the cold fairly quickly, which is a natural process, it's not like they are waiting for some random mutation that is rare and might take millions of years so they grow more fur.

Evolution is a theory that has not been set in stone, sadly few people have the privilege of being taught by professors who share that fact with students. There are way to many inconsistencies for evolution to be fully accepted scientifically, now if you are a "believer" that's a totally different story :)

dgtech said:
Evolution is a theory that has not been set in stone, sadly few people have the privilege of being taught by professors who share that fact with students. There are way to many inconsistencies for evolution to be fully accepted scientifically, now if you are a "believer" that's a totally different story :)

I see you have doubts. Evolution however for me is absolute; I have no doubt about it and if you keep studying life, you'll get there too. Something else will happen. Sorry, can't explain it. In time you'll see what I mean if you keep an open mind. :)

It is strange, considering even the father of evolution had his share of doubts. I guess you are a believer then, my mind is open to all possibilities, which spawned this interesting discussion, it seems that it's your mind that is shut to everything besides the mainstream :)

It is in our nature to question, especially when there is evidence suggesting controversies. However, as I advised the starter of the threat - if you are after recognition from the mainstream, you'd better conform to it.

My approach to studding life is more Polymatic, I found connecting the dots between the scientific and the artistic to be way more beneficial to me.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I thought you were the original poster and if I implied you're younger than me and are not then I apologize.

No need to apologize, plus I am probably younger than you anyway, your longer career suggests that :)

dgtech said:
Keep in mind it is an old theory, and even Darwin had his doubts, which are reflected in his journals.
Evolution is a very new science, about 150 years old. Darwin was the start, not the end. Even though it is a young science it has been turned upside down at least twice in its short history. Darwin didn't know about genetics or about DNA.

dgtech said:
You, dgtech, are the one making extraordinary (and extremely outdated) ideas. The burden of proof is upon you to justify these claims.

You are talking about Lamarkian evolution, which is an outdated idea. You need to read up on population dynamics.

D H said:
Evolution is a very new science, about 150 years old. Darwin was the start, not the end. Even though it is a young science it has been turned upside down at least twice in its short history. Darwin didn't know about genetics or about DNA.You, dgtech, are the one making extraordinary (and extremely outdated) ideas. The burden of proof is upon you to justify these claims.You are talking about Lamarkian evolution, which is an outdated idea. You need to read up on population dynamics.

Your points are valid, but the assumption that I went into exploring alternatives before studding the mainstream theory is a hasty one. I accidentally used the giraffe, which is a typical Lamarkian example, but my idea wasn't that the actual giraffe is passing characteristics, but that the actual process of evolution might be environment aware, after all the organisms is a collection of interconnected systems and is also connected to the environment, so changes in the environment create changes in the organism which can be translated into genetic changes. It is a chain reaction, and with such a large portion of our DNA being regarded as JUNK no one can claim to know for sure if that is plausible or not. It is an open chapter.

I have a lot to say in order to support my view, but that would simply bring me more infraction points, and I have plenty ;) Plus no one would even benefit from the information I provide, as you will likely erase the post.

Last edited:
dgtech said:
There are MANY observations that support my view, for example in forest fires butterfly population seems to mutate to change its camouflage so it doesn't stand out on burned out tree trunks and thus become easy prey. There is no process of some butterflies changing to "burned tree color" while others are changing to PINK, YELLOW or any RANDOM color. The "mutation" is not random, it is exactly what that species needs badly to survive
Where are these observations you speak of? It sounds like you're confusing the circumstances of the textbook example of moths (a species in which the adaptation to obvious environmental changes was evidently not caused by a new mutation).

dgtech said:
You won't grow fur overnight if the climate changes to cold. But species tend to adapt to the cold fairly quickly, which is a natural process, it's not like they are waiting for some random mutation that is rare and might take millions of years so they grow more fur.
Please, cite the evidence that you have for the length of time that it takes a species to adapt to a different climate.

dgtech said:
I guess you are a believer then, my mind is open to all possibilities, which spawned this interesting discussion, it seems that it's your mind that is shut to everything besides the mainstream :) [...] My approach to studding [sic] life is more Polymatic [sic], I found connecting the dots between the scientific and the artistic to be way more beneficial to me.
Arrogant to try to label yourself polymath. There's a name for your artistic approach to science: fiction writing.

Last edited:
First of all you don't know my areas of expertise, and second - your post is way more arrogant and also ignorant of the reasons I stated for not being able to discuss that matter in a forum that forbids non publicly recognized and supported by the mainstream theories.

dgtech said:
First of all you don't know my areas of expertise, and second - your post is way more arrogant and also ignorant of the reasons I stated for not being able to discuss that matter in a forum that forbids non publicly recognized and supported by the mainstream theories.

If you don't like the fact that this forum is for education in the mainstream theories or discussions of such theories then why do you continue to come here? Every post I've seen you part of you claim the exact same thing.

You should either do some actual work in the fields you profess to know more than the scientists about, in order to prove yourself correct (cosmology, biology etc.) or quit complaining.

Like the guy from zombieland said: Nut up or shut up. Applies quite nicely here.

[STRIKE]dgtech[/STRIKE]? Shame. Thing is, the mainstream is always open to new evidence, so there should be no excuse if you're unable to find expert-reviewed data.

The OP asked about mutations and is curious about evolution. :smile: A nice stroll through the online pages of The International Darwin Day Foundation is also helpful. The Mechanisms of Evolution is important to learn. One can also further study "The Role of DNA and Genetic Mutations" as DH earlier mentioned from the following link.
http://www.darwinday.org/learn/evolution.html

Regarding mutations, the quote below was found by linking onto one of the websites from the link above.

Mutations
In the living cell, DNA undergoes frequent chemical change, especially when it is being replicated (in S phase of the eukaryotic cell cycle). Most of these changes are quickly repaired. Those that are not result in a mutation. Thus, mutation is a failure of DNA repair.

[Please read on . . .]
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/M/Mutations.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Some traits are not expressed as direct genetic changes but as environmentally dependent expressions of existing genes. For example take the cute little piglet, source of joy and bacon to millions of us. If they are released into the wild (and this happens by accident all the time on farms. The little guys get away), they will within one generation grow large tusks, thick coats of fur and revert completely into ubdomesticated wild boar. Clearly there's no time for any form of natural selection to be at work here.

Biological adaptation is a lot more complex and less well understood than genetics.

Antiphon said:
Biological adaptation is a lot more complex and less well understood than genetics.

One thing we know for sure here on planet Earth is that under the influence of gravity all biological species evolved. :biggrin:

Sean B. Carroll, Ph.D. gave a lecture back in 2005 entitled "Evolution: Constant Change and Common Threads." Here is a snippet from Lecture Four—From Butterflies to Humans:

21. Evolution acts by gain and loss due to chance mutations (22:55)
So what we understand here is the process of evolution involves both gain and loss. In the case of the spotted fruit flies a new switch has evolved that draws a new pattern. It's expanded the role, expanded the number of jobs of a toolkit gene. In the case of the reduced pelvic sticklebacks a job has been abandoned. The pitX gene is no longer used for hind fin development in the species that have adapted to these lakes and lost their pelvic skeleton. The gene still exists and other switches still exist for that gene, but the switch has been inactivated in the sticklebacks. So this is the broad picture of evolution we get from understanding these switches and understanding how genes are used. Gains and losses are happening. Evolution is not a steadily progressive process. Pieces of genetic machinery, pieces of routines that are used in building animals are set aside or abandoned other new ones evolve. So whether we're talking about sticklebacks or butterflies or in fact virtually any other animal in the kingdom, the message is the same gains and losses are happening in the course of descent with modification. So, wondering where do these new tricks come from we have to reinforce the message of yesterday. The animal does not conceive of this new trick. Mutations arise at random that will create variation in form. Mutations in switches arising at random. Nature, either in the form of a mate or a predator nature acts as the art critic that selects the better forms and patterns.

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/dvd/transcripts/Evolution%20Lecture%204%20Transcript.pdf
:biggrin:

Antiphon said:
If they are released into the wild [.. sus domesticus] will within one generation grow large tusks, thick coats of fur and revert completely into [sus scrofa].
Do you have evidence to support this?

silenzer said:
Ok so let's say there are these birds on an island with a food source that require long pecks, but these birds have smaller pecks than needed. So after a long time, I'm not sure to say how long, the birds have developed a longer peck, enabling them to reach the food source.
Now, as I understand, mutations happen every day and most of them are harmless, and some of them don't even matter. Perhaps some small mutation in a stomach cell.
I also recall that mutations happen randomly, and not in any particular part of the body for any animal. Just completely randomly.
So how can these birds develop with themselves this long peck, even if they have millions of years to do it? A single, a single part in their body being transformed beneficially?

There's a basic, and very common misunderstanding that is causing your confusion. The birds don't develop longer beaks because of their food source. Those that happen to have longer beaks have a better chance to get that better food source. If they couldn't get at the food at all, the species would be extinct. A better example of the process would be a group of birds that start out with a range of beak sizes (the same as people can be a large range of heights and all be "normal.") Now, the easy to reach food gets scarce, and only the food deep in crevices is left. The ones with the short beaks don't survive, while those with long beaks do. With enough generations of all the offspring with short beaks dying young and not reaching an age to reproduce, the alleles for short beaks dwindles from the gene pool and all the birds have long beaks.

And how come the animals don't have extremely weird shapes (within each species) if mutations happen completely randomly?
I'm not sure what you mean by extremely weird, but of course mutations can result in unusual features. Some examples in humans would be someone born with extra fingers or toes (polydactyly), or with webbing between their fingers or toes. Some might be born without arms or legs, or be born with an extreme form of dwarfism that leaves them shorter than a toddler as an adult. Lots of weird things happen all the time with mutations.

Why are the ears on the same spot in almost all human beings? I understand that if the human is too weird looking, he might not be able to get a mate. But a little weirder looks would happen if it would happen randomly, right?
That has more to do with how ears develop. Ears are in essentially the same location on all animals. The face actually develops in two halves the fold together and fuse in the middle.

Don't think I'm against evolution, this is just something I can't grasp. I'm a pantheist, so I believe in evolution.
Thanks.

No problem. I think a lot of high school level textbooks explain the subject very poorly. They try to make it simple for the age level of the students, but instead make it more confusing by leaving out too much of the explanation. It's good to ask questions like this to understand it better.

Moonbear said:
There's a basic, and very common misunderstanding that is causing your confusion. The birds don't develop longer beaks because of their food source. Those that happen to have longer beaks have a better chance to get that better food source. If they couldn't get at the food at all, the species would be extinct. A better example of the process would be a group of birds that start out with a range of beak sizes (the same as people can be a large range of heights and all be "normal.") Now, the easy to reach food gets scarce, and only the food deep in crevices is left. The ones with the short beaks don't survive, while those with long beaks do. With enough generations of all the offspring with short beaks dying young and not reaching an age to reproduce, the alleles for short beaks dwindles from the gene pool and all the birds have long beaks.
Thanks for this.

No, I erased this misunderstanding a while ago - I know that evolution is about the survival of the fittest. What I cannot grasp is that, let's say, these birds would have very similar beaks. Some would eventually get the "a bit longer beak" trait, but what are the odds of that happening? If mutations vary from a single gene in a cell located in the foot and to an extra limb being attached, what are the odds of getting a beneficial trait? Aren't they extremely small?

silenzer said:
this is just something I can't grasp.
Thanks.

Lots of good popular books out there. Need to try and get a few and read them. Authors that come to my mind are Richard Dawkins, E.O. Wilson, and Steve Gould. Many others.

Beneficial mutations are rare.

Last edited:
silenzer said:
No, I erased this misunderstanding a while ago - I know that evolution is about the survival of the fittest. What I cannot grasp is that, let's say, these birds would have very similar beaks. Some would eventually get the "a bit longer beak" trait, but what are the odds of that happening? If mutations vary from a single gene in a cell located in the foot and to an extra limb being attached, what are the odds of getting a beneficial trait? Aren't they extremely small?
The odds of a beneficial mutations are indeed very small. Suppose the very existence of a population depends on some newly born member having just the right mutation. That most likely is not going to happen. The population will cease to exist.

Suppose a population of birds is released on a remote island that only has one food source for those birds. If none of the birds can eat that food, the answer is simple: They will all die. This is a contrived example. More realistic would be a population with some variation already in it. All finches look alike to you because you aren't a finch. All finches do not look alike to other finches.

Some member of the population would be able to eat that food, perhaps readily. Some would have a harder time, maybe being able to get at a small fraction of that food source; there is inevitably going to be some variation in that food source. Some wouldn't be able to eat at all. Those poor birds might well die. On the other hand, they might well find some other source of nutrition that you didn't think of. In a few generations the natural genetic distribution in this population will have drifted considerably.

Mutations do not happen at will, or even by need. They are random. Just because the underlying mechanism is random does not mean that evolution is completely random. Evolution moves a population toward a local optimum by means of population drift. New mutations add to the genetic variation within a population. Whether that local optimum is a global optimum is a different question. Ofttimes it is not. Species can evolve some strange stuff that are locally beneficial but are very much suboptimal in a bigger context. Example: the deer with the biggest antlers get to mate.

D H said:
The odds of a beneficial mutations are indeed very small. Suppose the very existence of a population depends on some newly born member having just the right mutation. That most likely is not going to happen. The population will cease to exist.

Suppose a population of birds is released on a remote island that only has one food source for those birds. If none of the birds can eat that food, the answer is simple: They will all die. This is a contrived example. More realistic would be a population with some variation already in it. All finches look alike to you because you aren't a finch. All finches do not look alike to other finches.

Some member of the population would be able to eat that food, perhaps readily. Some would have a harder time, maybe being able to get at a small fraction of that food source; there is inevitably going to be some variation in that food source. Some wouldn't be able to eat at all. Those poor birds might well die. On the other hand, they might well find some other source of nutrition that you didn't think of. In a few generations the natural genetic distribution in this population will have drifted considerably.

Mutations do not happen at will, or even by need. They are random. Just because the underlying mechanism is random does not mean that evolution is completely random. Evolution moves a population toward a local optimum by means of population drift. New mutations add to the genetic variation within a population. Whether that local optimum is a global optimum is a different question. Ofttimes it is not. Species can evolve some strange stuff that are locally beneficial but are very much suboptimal in a bigger context. Example: the deer with the biggest antlers get to mate.
That was a very good answer, thank you. But since the odds of a beneficial trait are so small, do they match the number in which they occur?

The question to resolve about morphologic change of a population over time is whether or which changes in a population are genetic and which epigenetic or even just the result of variation in human contrived taxonomic systems. Better, to resolve the inter-relationship of each in a specific population as was being studied on the islands of Pod Mrčaru and Pod Kopište on a population of wall lizards. http://www.scitechexplained.com/2010/02/evidence-for-evolution-lizards-from-pod-mrcaru/"

Just keep in mind that these are doctoral dissertation topics and not exactly beginner material. Do what it takes to pass your undergrad classes "instantly"and take a little more time to work out the "impossible" stuff post grad. Metaphorically, you should master what is known about genetic inheritance before tackling the complexities of epigenetic influences which will require knowledge of many fields of discipline; molecular biology, bio-informatics, math, physics, chemistry, statistics, philosophy of science, etc. Time is short. There is little sense in re-inventing things.

Last edited by a moderator:
cesiumfrog said:
Do you have evidence to support this?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar?wasRedirected=true

"Domestic pigs quite readily become feral, and feral populations often revert to a similar appearance to wild boar; they can then be difficult to distinguish from natural or introduced true wild boar (with which they also readily interbreed). "